What do you think a proper education should consist of?

I'm curious. What do you ladies think children should be learning, and what should they know when they graduate high school? We're talking all age groups here, but my dd is currently in 4th (about to be 5th) and I want to know what YOU would consider a "proper" education? What do you think of when you think of "accomplished" children? Languages? Arts? Science? Math? I'm going to be homeschooling my daughter in the fall, and I want to know what YOU would want your child to know by the 12th grade...

CeeCee333

Asked by CeeCee333 at 4:12 PM on May. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• I want my kids to know the basics. Math, reading, Social studies/History, Science, and maybe a class on Critical thinking. They should obviously also know about computers, and be able to speak more than one language.

Answer by gemgem at 4:15 PM on May. 20, 2011

• well, math, science, social studies...including history. knowing about other countries and economics...basicis is important but by the time 12th grade comes around it would be nice for her to write a check/ know about those everyday things we take for granted as an adult. language....ofcourse computers but not just typing. knowing about word/power point/even excel. art is important and culture. its hard to tell what is a quality education for all. but i think just wanting to be educated after 12th grade is important and having the knowledge to move on is important.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 4:33 PM on May. 20, 2011