Vitamin D supplement and BF

Had DD 4mo check up today. Pedi said she's perfect weight height milestones etc then proceeded to say BF babies need vitamin d supplement b/c theres not enough in breast milk. Said to get vitamin d for her. Is this new? I've never head this through 2 other kids. I prefer not to I think breast milk is sufficient

yesmaam

Asked by yesmaam at 4:14 PM on May. 20, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes. New for about the last 4-5 years. BF babies need extra Vit D. Adults need it, too.

We are finding that, despite sun exposure, people are not making enough these days.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 4:25 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Keep her in some sunlight for a short period each day, that SHOULD be enough vit d. If your doctor wants you to use a supplement, request a blood DRAW, not a finger/heel stick, and tell him if the blood draw shows a deficiency, you will consider a supplement.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:46 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Yes it's new. We did it. I got carlsons baby d drops and put one drop on my nipple daily for her.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:17 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Thanks ladies. And I guess my last baby is 6 so that explains why I haven't heard :-)
    yesmaam

Comment by yesmaam (original poster) at 4:27 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I take a Vit D supplement as well as an iron supplement, the two vit that docs claim are not in high enough quanitities in BM. I have 3 children and everytime they were/are tested for VitD and Iron levels, they have had perfect levels!
    Anonymous

• Actually, we ALL need it...not necessarily because BM doesn't have enough, but, there's almost no way to get enough. A lot of simple problems in adults is lack of the vitamins.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:32 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Yeah get the vitamin D drop and put it on his pacifier or bottle, bf does not have enough vitamin D.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 9:28 PM on May. 20, 2011