LVN Classes @ private school question

My local schools have a 6 year wait list. So I've decided I want to take the Vocational Nursing program @ a private school. Its $30,000 6 months after graduation is when payments will start @ $100 or less a payment since I have FAFSA and its a little over $6,000. The program is for 1 year full time. The kids will stay with my MIL who just retired today.

I have mixed feelings because I am not taking this lightly since its so much money.Also some of my family not DH but others have said its too much money and they don't think I will graduate because they know someone else who tried and failed. However I finished CNA in March and passed with 97.8 % GPA and was the 2nd highest grade in the class. I did better than others that were already CNA's just refreshing for their exam.

If you were in my shoes broke, nothing is going to change I have 2 kids, hate where I live, not much of an education and have a thirst and craving for knowledge and to be a nurse what would you do?

myownhappiness

Asked by myownhappiness at 4:37 PM on May. 20, 2011 in Money & Work

• i say do it. my school and for what i am studying has a huge drop out rate. we started 13 and we are down to 9. they only take 15 into the program. if you have the support and the time. do it! life moves on even if you do it or not. so might as well better yourself. good luck and you can do it!
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 4:44 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Oh I think I should add there are more ppl thinking I should do it and CAN do it than don't
    myownhappiness

Comment by myownhappiness (original poster) at 4:40 PM on May. 20, 2011

• If YOU want it you will make it happen. I went to a private Nursing school. That cost seems extreme to me. Do some looking at other private schools The RN program at Hallmark Colleges is about what you are willing to pay for LVN. Shop around for you best fit and don't listen to the naysayers. Only YOU can control whether you make it or not.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:47 PM on May. 20, 2011

• It really boils down to your mindset: is that what you need to do to succeed?
    lizi.clawson

Answer by lizi.clawson at 5:32 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Is this a real LVN program that your certification will be accepted or is it at one of the for-profit schools like Everest or even University of Phoenix? You should check out the program a bit more because because $30,000 does seem a bit steep for an LVN program. And you have to think about your ability to pay back your loans. If you will be responsible for $24,000 of the loan repayment at a 6.8% interest rate (the lower one) for a federal student loan calculated over 20 years your payment will still be $180.00. And you will have paid almost $20,000 in interest alone. Do you really want to be paying for school into your 40's and maybe 50's?

I think that you could definitely accomplish it! I just wouldn't want you to regret going to a private institution when you could maybe find a cheaper alternative.

I'm sorry if it seems that I went off on a tangent but financing education is a hot button with me.
    HollyBoBolly

Answer by HollyBoBolly at 5:09 AM on May. 23, 2011

• WOW! Thanks HollyBoBolly. I didn't even think about how much the interest would total up to be :( eeeeesh
    myownhappiness

Comment by myownhappiness (original poster) at 12:03 PM on May. 23, 2011