How do I get my kids to drink more?

My twins are almost 7 and some days, all they drink is the milk I've sent to school. This can't be enough to keep them well hydrated and I'm afraid they will end up dehydrated with summer coming. Every morning, I ask about what they want to drink with breakfast and they say they don't want anything. There is water in the fridge for them to pour and I will pour milk when they ask for it. (It's on the top shelf as that's the only shelf that's tall enough and they aren't tall enough to reach it.) I'll also give them one cup of juice per day when the ask. They just aren't ever asking for something to drink.

How do I get them to drink more to stay healthy?

JSD24

Asked by JSD24 at 4:59 PM on May. 20, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Put ice water in cups with straws and let them sip all day. Ice water tastes better than tap water. :)

Answer by Bmat at 5:14 PM on May. 20, 2011

• My kids each have a water bottle. I fill it in the mornings and they drink form it all day. Its fun because they are character ones and they are small enough to carry everywhere. The other thing I do it every time I get the 'I'm hungry' I tell them to go have a big glass of water and then if they are still hungry in 10 min I will fix them a snack. Cuts done on the snacks and increases their water intake.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:02 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I agree with the straw in the cup idea that is how I get my kids to drink their water I don't know what it is about a straw kids love so much but they do and it works!
    afreethingrep

Answer by afreethingrep at 5:19 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Try high water content fruits like watermelon
    Fruit juice popsicles-make your own

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:01 PM on May. 20, 2011

• decorate a water bottle and keep it in reach
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 6:36 PM on May. 21, 2011