How can I be a better mom?

So, my mom was a good person when she was sober but that wasn't very often and she passed away when I was 18--before I was married and having babies! Darn near everything I know about parenting comes from reading books, magazines, talking to babysitters (sad but true!). I'm happy that friends and my MIL say I'm a good mom, but I miss the wisdom that I hear getting passed from mother to daughter. So I was wondering what the best mommy advice is from my friends on CafeMom--how can I be a better mom?

lizi.clawson

Asked by lizi.clawson at 5:07 PM on May. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think sometimes some mom's don't pass down that wisdom either - I have to learn like you are not for the same reasons but I lack instincts.. I want to learn and ask as much as I can to be the best mom I can. I get knocked down daily but usually I am hardest on myself.. but I want to learn from those mistakes.. just being here and wanting to learn shows you are on the right track..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:17 PM on May. 20, 2011

• If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right.

If you want it done right, do it yourself.

Answer by Bmat at 5:11 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Being a happy mom makes you a better mom, getting involved in everything dedicating time for them, and always being there no matter what.

Answer by older at 5:27 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Ha! I love it, I'm so OCD :)
    lizi.clawson

Comment by lizi.clawson (original poster) at 5:14 PM on May. 20, 2011

• The best advice I can give is ask, ask, ask.

Mommies best advice comes from other mommies. Ask everyone you can about anything you need to know. You will be amazed at the wonderful solutions other mom's have come up with.

My mom is around, but seems to have forgotten alot of the details about child-rearing . . . so my best advice has come from other moms . . .ones that I know and even strangers in BabiesRUs!!

Hugs.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 5:40 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I think learning to forgive is a huge part in becoming a great mom. Forgiving yourself, forgiving your kids, spouse, everyone. There is so much peace in truly finding that in your heart.
    nepenthe429

Answer by nepenthe429 at 11:54 PM on May. 20, 2011

• My Mom was sober and didn't die but she had little to offer in terms of good parenting. Talk to friends, go to counseling or parenting classes if you want, but the real key is love your children with all your heart and do the best you can.
    blackisbetter

Answer by blackisbetter at 6:25 AM on May. 21, 2011