How long is it good to breastfeed?

Here are my thoughts. I am a student, and the baby is due in July. I am taking summer term off (duh!), and am only taking online classes during fall term. So...I will be totally available for breastfeeding for the first 6 months of her life. Is it bad if I stop breastfeeding her at 6 months?

Tarrar

Asked by Tarrar at 5:26 PM on May. 20, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If 6 months is all you want to do then yes that's great. If you want to try to go longer it is totally doable with support nad the right supplies. Any breast milk is better than no breast milk at all.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:30 PM on May. 20, 2011

• As long as it is mutually desired by both mother and baby. Every single drop of BM is a miracle and a tremendous accomplishment!
    Anonymous

• Your baby will benefit from every day of breastfeeding that you can give! 6 months is better than 5 months. 7 months is better than 6!

You can also pump your milk after you're back in school so you can continue giving breast milk to your baby. Formula isn't cheap, and as a student I'm sure you're looking for ways to save money!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 7:35 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Any amount is great. It never loses nutritional value either. You can stop whenever you want, but keep in mind that it does NOT have to be all or nothing. You can pump while apart and she can get BM in bottles/cups and nurse when you're together, or you can use formula while apart and nurse while together.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:37 PM on May. 20, 2011

• It might be difficult to pump at school. You can try if you like. If not, you can (assuming you still want to nurse) use formula while you are at school and nurse while you are together.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:49 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I have totally thought about doing that, but I think it will be way to hard to pump while Im at school. :(
    Tarrar

Comment by Tarrar (original poster) at 7:59 PM on May. 20, 2011

• is good that you can bf for 6 months. pumping is hard and tiring. If you can only do it for 6 months then that's it, as long you have no problem buying formula.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 9:27 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I am a nursing student and I just had a baby and it is not easy but I am still breastfeeding and I pump while I am away. All my teachers are very nice about giving me time and a place to pump. I even pump while I am at clinical working. No one seems to mind cause they are glad I am doing it for the baby and it makes me feel good that I can give her milk cause sometimes it kills me leaving her.
    NurseKlein

Answer by NurseKlein at 10:30 PM on May. 20, 2011

• its not bad at all and dont let anyone tell you otherwise! you do what is best for you and your child. some women want to breastfeed their children until they're two years old, and others don't want to breastfeed at all. its all a personal choice. if you want to nurse until your daughter is six months and then formula feed, i think that's a great thing. good for you for thinking that far in advance.

as long as you're feeding your child age-appropriate food/milk, you're doing the right thing.
    flamingomegs

Answer by flamingomegs at 2:46 PM on May. 22, 2011