What is the best baby carrier that is easy on your back?

I am having a little boy in July and my DD will be 2 in September. I am wanting to use a carrier for him... i will need my extra hands to take care of my DD, lol. I havea bad back (scoliosis) and am looking for one that is not going to be too hard on my back. I have heard that the Ergos are really good... they are kinda expensive... So i was wondering if anyone has any cheaper suggestions... I Would also appreciate opinions on the Ergo carrier... to justify spending 150 dollars on a carrier, lol!

annhart19

Asked by annhart19 at 5:35 PM on May. 20, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I made a moby. It's less expensive and I love mine. My DS is 8.5 months now, and I still use mine.
    kasey22

Answer by kasey22 at 10:53 PM on May. 20, 2011

• A moby style wrap for newborns, and after about 15 lbs I was more comfortable using a ring style sling. I have a bad back, for like 13 years now, and degenerative disc disease, and very large breasts to boot, which makes my back worse, and both of those carriers worked great for me.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:39 PM on May. 20, 2011

• ..the PortaMEe is by far the best, in my opinion.

eatapeach

Answer by eatapeach at 7:29 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I had something similar to what the first poster mentioned, and I found it to be uncomfortable for me and baby, and kind of painful. I'm sure it works great for some, but not for me.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:40 PM on May. 20, 2011

• i checked the portamee website... they say they are sold out... plus i dont like that fact that it is strictly a hip carrier... I do like that feature in carriers... but i also want the front carry as well
    annhart19

Comment by annhart19 (original poster) at 10:44 PM on May. 20, 2011

• also... Im not sure about the wraps... I had a sling with my DD and i did not like it at all... it always felt like she was going to fall out... Idk if it was too big or i was wearing it wrong... IDK
    annhart19

Comment by annhart19 (original poster) at 10:45 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I area with the moby wrap... you might not have used it right but if you do it right it works great... I also think it helped with bonding... also it was great to use when breast feeding...
    AyamiLove

Answer by AyamiLove at 11:34 PM on May. 20, 2011

• If it didn't feel secure, then you WERE using it wrong. A wrap and a sling, when worn properly (and it does take time to get the hang of it) are extremely comfortable. If you have a LLL near you, go to a meeting, you'll find lots of wrap and sling wearing moms there who can show you what to do.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:02 AM on May. 21, 2011

• LLL? not sure what that is.... but im not sure how i feel about slings and wraps... i think i would be most comfortable with a front carrier... I guess I would have to try it out to see... but like i said dont have a huge budget for a carrier...
    annhart19

Comment by annhart19 (original poster) at 3:22 PM on May. 21, 2011

• LLL= La Leche League. Slings and wraps can be used as front, back and hip carriers, that's why I love them so much! Personally, I think the Bjorn style carriers are horrible, uncomfortable, and I've heard that they're not great for baby's hips/pelvis, since they're basically being held by the crotch. I'm not sure of the specifics though, and of course you need to do what will work best for you and your family, but I know for ME, the slings and wraps distribute the weight evenly across my back, shoulders and even hips a little, which was great with my back history.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:20 PM on May. 21, 2011