9 yr old female with ADD, suggestions instead of meds

My 9 yr old dd has been diagnosed with ADD. She is such a great kid, no behavior issues but very spacey, inaatentive etc. I had her evaluated for ADD after speaking with some moms on here about her grades and such. She indeed has a classic case of ADD. I would like to try and help her without medication first. Her Dr is trying to tell me that I am setting her up to be a failure in life by not medicating her. I am going to give it until her 1st report card next year and if what we try isnt working we will go the medication route. i am asking any moms with girls with ADD not on meds to let me know what works for them please. I have her IEP for next year on Tuesday and would like to bring to the table some suggestions that may work. Thank you in advance.

2and2onway

Asked by 2and2onway at 5:43 PM on May. 20, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I really respect you for not going down the medication route. My sister was diagnosed with ADD recently and my mother doesn't want to medicate either so I'll be keeping a close eye on this post.
    aishanabuaisha

Answer by aishanabuaisha at 5:45 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I wish you the best of luck - I was that little girl and it was UNdiagnosed all through out my life until I was diagnosed at 31.. It will be MUCH easier, although still challenging for her, to try to find help now than my age -natural processed without meds at 32 now are almost 99% unsuccessful. I can't take the meds due to the side effects so I do feel for your Little one and how hard this is. I am so happy you found out so early!! good Job Mommy!!!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:46 PM on May. 20, 2011

• My oldest, if you read my journal posts you can read about him, has so many diagnosis and has been on meds since he was 3. He is now 11. I am trying to find better ways to deal with it for her. She doesn't want meds, so i am trying to respect her also.
    2and2onway

Comment by 2and2onway (original poster) at 5:54 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I hear of getting rid of food colorings, presevatives, works wonders. As well as going to non processed food.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 11:27 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I have ADD and made good grades in school and have five college degrees now and NEVER took meds for it. My parents kept me busy so I could burn up my energy. Focusing is still hard for me but I do it when it's necessary. Your doctor is a jerk for telling you that you are setting her up for failure without meds. Shame on him. That's just a form of him trying to manipulate you into doing what he wants not something based on fact. I'm certainly not a failure. What's he going to do when 20 yrs from now she's suffering from some side effect he didn't know about? Nothing but she'll have to deal with it. Doctors piss me off sometimes.
    Anonymous

• Behavioral therapy!! It's not about her bad behavior, since you said she doesn't have that, it's about teaching her to cope with her symptoms and better organize herself. A family therapist should be able to help. It'll probably be a process, but it will be well worth it in the end!! A child therapist would also be able to help her out. They will work with your doc to make sure they are all doing what is in your child's best interests. As always though, no one knows your child like you do, so be prepared to defend your non-meds position. GL!
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 8:57 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Sorry, I am all for meds. My22 yr old was just diagnosed with ADD. He chose to be put on meds and he is much better off. He lost years of schooling because he couldn't get through the material. He dropped half of his college classes and he's been borrowing the money for college. Money wasted. Now on the meds he can read and he can do the math. He's a different person. I'd try the meds first. There is to much at stake to keep trying this and that and not solving the problem.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:57 PM on May. 21, 2011

• my 9 year old has struggled the past 4 years with ADHD and I finally decided to try the meds. Her grades have gone from C's to all A's, her handwriting is like night and day, she's able to stay friends with the people in her class, etc. There have been a couple days where I've not been able to give her her meds before school and her teacher can tell right away. My daughter even tells me she doesn't like being without her medicine that she has a much easier time on it. It really can be a good thing, I think you should give it a shot.
    alliesmithe

Answer by alliesmithe at 7:51 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I have a son who has the inattentive ADD. I knew it for years but didnt want to get him "diagnoised" because I didnt want him on meds or "labeled" But after years of watching him struggle in school, and battling the schools for permanent accomadations, I decided as a mother I hadnt 'tried everything" for him if I hadnt had him evaluated, so I took him and sure enough I was right! They suggested medicine just for a month to see if there was a difference, so i agreed... AND I COULDNT BELIEVE the difference! You see, its a focus and concentration problem that they can not control, people dont understand it, if they dont live with it. If you had someone who had diabetes you would give them insulin, I had to come to terms that his ADD is a medical condition and he remains focused while on it! Diet and excercise is extremely good too, i subscribe to ADDitude magizine on web.. its beneficial! Good luck-
    solmenkoo3

Answer by solmenkoo3 at 5:44 PM on May. 24, 2011

• We are doing the same thing with SD9. We're going to give IEP a try and see how that goes. SS13 has been on meds since he was 9 because IEP wasn't effective.Like solmenkoo3, the results are amazing. We only give him meds on school days and even he notices the difference. At first he was against taking the meds (opposing family members kept telling him it was poison) but after seeing how much it helps him focus and stay on task he gets upset when he forgets to take it on test days. We've gotten calls from him and the school nurse asking if she can give him his meds because he forgot his morning pill. I would try the IEP, but don't wait too long if your daughter needs it, she will be happier in the end.
    not-the-momma

Answer by not-the-momma at 12:15 PM on May. 25, 2011