as a christian how did your childs schooling go?

my son is 9months and i am considering a christian preschool for when he is old enough and my husband is considering public or home schooling i like the home schooling idea since my cousins were and they all are really doin well in different colleges now. i dont mind private school either. i have nothing against public but i just want my son to learn as much about god and the bible as possible. where did you send ur kids?

momavanessa

Asked by momavanessa at 3:04 PM on Dec. 7, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• My husband and I are both home-school graduates. Our first son is only 10 months old at this point, but we definitely plan to home-school! I'd be happy to chat with you if you want to send me a message =)
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 3:06 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• We homeschool :) Please don't listen to the people that think homeschooled kids are misfits and can't possibly function without "public school socialization". As I recall, there's an awful lot of screwed up kids that attend or attended public schools.

Anyways, I like it becaus eI can teach themanything and everything about God...at all different times throughout the day. We don't have money for private school and now that I've tasted homeschool, I'm not sure I'd send them to private either.

If you have any other questions about homeschooling or decide you might want to try it, go to the Happy Homeschooler's group here in CafeMom. There's thousands of homeschoolers there that can help you or inspire you :)
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:09 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• My kids all went to christian preschools and it was great. I sent them to public which was not so great. I homeschool one of my kids now and use the jubilee homeschool program. I plan to do the same with my 3.5 yr old when she gets old enough for homeschool. I dont like public schools for many reasons. I work within the district here and there are too many kids, parents who dont care, teachers who just sit and collect a salary waiting on retirement, end of grade testing they prepare for all yr which imo takes any fun out of learning. If I had to do it over again Id homeschool them from the get go.

Answer by gemgem at 3:10 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I agree with renee also, some of the "socialization" my kids learned in public school they could have done without.

Answer by gemgem at 3:18 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I would never expect a public school to teach my child about God. That's MY job, no one else's. If I left it to a school, they might teach things I don't believe in. I also wouldn't do a private school for RELIGION because again, they might teach things I don't believe in.

I do admire people who can homeschool. It's a level of dedication that I know I cannot maintain. Leave it to me, and my kid would never learn about math! And that's not acceptable in this day and age.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:47 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• My children and I were all educated in public school (although I did homeschool my daughter during middle school). They know about Jesus and the Bible. Just because they attend public school does not mean they can't still attend church and learn about the Bible. Teaching truly begins at home and my children know the Creator!
    ashkyef3

Answer by ashkyef3 at 4:04 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• My children went to a Christian school for a little while, then I put them in public school. Question. How do children in public school get introduced to Christ if we take our children out?
    Sis.Jackson

Answer by Sis.Jackson at 10:14 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• My younger kids attend public school, and the older ones attend a private church school. All of them attended ( a very good) public school from pre-k to 5th grade. Between our devotional time at home and Bible studies, the younger kids get plenty of Christian education.
    Sis.Jackson, that's a good question. We allow our kids to play with the kids in our neighborhood, and this allows plenty of time for witnessing.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 11:03 PM on Dec. 7, 2008