Amazing Organic Animal Repellant--follow up solution to mole problem,

Ok so I had asked about a solution on an organic problem to moles. So excited by the initial results I had to share. While I got a little overzealous in the initial application I found a smelly but organic solution to the issue. I actually saw what I am guessing was a vole and not a mole run to the nextdoor neighbors yard for cover. Because we have an oversized city lot and a little brook dividing our property our backyard typcially looks like a tiny wildlife sanctuary. It has now been 5 hours and the only ones that I have seen are those vacating, including a little critter exiting the biggest hole and a chipmunk now taking cover under my car.
I sprayed down an overly healthy dose of Bonide Shot gun animal repellant spray around the permiter of my lawn, my garden (especially my roses and pea plants) and under the farmer's porch. Initially the stuff smelled like hot peppers and garlic and I sprayed and sprayed and soon could tolerate the smell. About 15 minutes after I finished applying this vomit inducing sulfury seawoody smell kicked up and I could even smell it in the house. It dissipated for the most part in about an hour but I had to take a really long shower and after washing my clothes I had to rewash them because the bathroom where the laundry machine in then also reeked whichi indicates to me that it has some staing power if it rains. In future I would do a smaller area so the smell dissipated faster and wear clothes that would stand being bleached or discarded (and wear a hat to keep it out of my hair) but overall I have never seen something that kept animals away so effectively that was not poison. The birds land for a split second and then leave, the squirrels and chipmunks are gone and supposedly it keeps unwanted dogs and deer away too. I am not sure if your dog/cat will appreciate it and you can't pick and choose the animals you want to keep away from the area you squirted but if you are at wits end this is definitely worth a try.

hotelmom123

Asked by hotelmom123 at 5:49 PM on May. 20, 2011 in Home & Garden

• But I don't wanna get rid of Russel! (We have a garder snake that has resided here since before we moved in. Its his home as much as it is ours, even though he likes to scare the dickens outta me!)

The sandbox would be kinda hard to cover, though. I'll try to get a picture of it when its nice out, and then post a question about how to cover it. Just irks me that my husband dug out all the sand from previous owners, put down brand new sand, and the next day there were cat turds in it :( Kids never got to play in it!

Its IN the playset we inherited from the previous owners.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 1:33 AM on May. 21, 2011

• I need a way to keep cats out of our back yard (privacy fence), because the kids have a sandbox, and the cats of the neighborhood love using it as their personal litter box. Pisses me off. Plus I have a daughter who is highly allergic to cats/dogs. Oh, and I've also found dog piles in our front garden.

Where did you find the stuff?
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 9:35 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Thanks for the update.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 10:58 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Does it repel cats and dogs? Is it safe around pets? I have both cats and dogs and my cousins goat comes to visit sometime.

Hope I would suggest a cover for the sand box. Fox urine may keep all the animals out of your yard since you are wanting to repel house hold pets. I wouldn't suggest it if you had cats and dogs as it drove mine crazy.It will repel squirrels and snakes as well.
    sweetangie79

Answer by sweetangie79 at 12:50 AM on May. 21, 2011

• Glad to hear how that turned out!
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 3:22 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I am glad it worked for you.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 8:23 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I may have to have my husband look into it, we have a mole issue right now.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:08 AM on May. 22, 2011

• You can order the stuff on Amazon or at a local garden center. Other reviews state that it keeps dogs and cats away. I think for a pet owner I would stick to spot treating to keep them out
    hotelmom123

Comment by hotelmom123 (original poster) at 7:01 AM on May. 22, 2011