S/o of an earlier question

If you bought a house and found some old things in it, not necessarily antique or of value, would you keep them or find the old family? (the previous owner died)

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 6:06 PM on May. 20, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• throw them away. I just don't have time for hunting people down. if it was important they would have took it with them.
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 6:09 PM on May. 20, 2011

• If I thought they were neat, i'd probably keep them. I find old things to be so cool, even if they're worthless.
    DJsMommy610

Answer by DJsMommy610 at 6:12 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Probably keep it
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:27 PM on May. 20, 2011

• okay, the earlier question was about someone finding $40000 rolled hidden in the attic, many people said they wouldnt keep it, despite the fact that it was sold with the house, so why is it ok to keep something worthless rather than something of worth in the same situation?
    SabrenaLeigh

Comment by SabrenaLeigh (original poster) at 6:29 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Depends on what it is. If I had room to store it short term I would put it aside and contact the seller's agent and let them know that I have set aside the items and will donate them if they are not picked up by a certain date.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:51 PM on May. 20, 2011

• It would depend. I I felt it was something that might have sentimental value or might be a 'memory' for someone, I'd try and get it to them so they could decide for themselves. If it was just 'stuff' it would depend on whether I could use it or possibly donate it for someone else to use. I don't like waste, so just tossing it wouldn't be an option unless it was truly just junk.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 8:33 PM on May. 20, 2011

• so why is it ok to keep something worthless rather than something of worth in the same situation?

Because if it is worthless, then it wouldn't be worth it to track a down a family who probably doesn't miss it just to return it, whereas something of worth WOULD be missed and therefore it would be worth tracking down the owner.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 8:55 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I think it is less a matter of property and more a matter of worth.
    -Eilish-

• if the things might have been of sentimental value to someone, like a diary or photographs, it would be easy to track down previous owners through public records, write some letters, and see whose belongings they were. if it were just clothes hangers, i would throw them out. if it were of value, i would definitely return them. karma can be a bitch!
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 9:02 PM on May. 20, 2011

• In the house my hub and I purchased in OKC, my hub found suit cases full of old newspaper clippings. The suitcases were old and falling apart. No, we did not keep that, we threw it out.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 10:00 PM on May. 20, 2011