Our boys... (bullying)

We have a 7yr old son, and an 8 yr old son. They usually get along well, at least at home. Today our 7 yr old said that his brother and 4 of his brothers friends were chasing him at recess today, and wouldn't leave him alone. Our 7 yr old son is very shy and quiet, most all of the time. Neither one have gotten in trouble at school for fighting, etc.. But today our 7 yr old was crying about it, and said they wouldn't stop until one of his friends helped him. It was hard watching him cry about it, and his own brother wouldn't help him, instead he was chasing him right along with the other boys. We made our 8 yr old write down all the names of the boys that were doing it, and I plan to take it to the principle on Monday, and nipping this in the bud real quick. We don't tolerate bullying of any type period. Is this what you would do? Or would you leave it alone, and let it go? We have also grounded our 8 yr old for the next 2 weeks, and he will be doing his brothers chores for the next week. Not to mention what school is going to do about it. Apparently the teachers didn't see anything happen, so I guess we'll see...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:14 PM on May. 20, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• YES nip it in the bud. You could call the parents of the boys chasing him as well. SOunds like you are on the right track. Good Luck!!
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 6:18 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Truthfully, I don't think that I would involve the school yet. In fact I would hold your other son responsible as you sound like you are doing. It is HIS responsibility as the big brother to look out and stick up for his brother and you need to impress that upon him. He needs to be the one that tells the other boys that you don't pick on my little brother. If it happens again, then by all means, contact the school for assistance, but since it involved two of YOUR children I think that I would leave it alone.

My three kids are 18 and 20 months apart and they know and have known that they can be annoyed and pick at each other AT HOME, but when they leave our house, they are ONE and need to protect each other.
    mjande4

Answer by mjande4 at 7:04 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I'm getting the school involved because I'm not letting 4 other boys get away with making my son feel scared. Our 8 yr old knows better, and knows we don't tolerate it. They were also chasing the other little boy that stood up for my 7 yr old son, but he stopped them. I want the principle to know that he did the right thing to help him. I want to make a huge impression on these boys so they know that we're serious, and there's consequences for their behavior.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:14 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Here's my take, you have now turned your other son into a "tattle-tale", where the lesson should be to HELP HIS BROTHER. The other boys might now turn on BOTH of them. Bullying is a VERY over-used term. Chasing someone on the playground ONE DAY is not bullying, particularly when your OWN brother is involved. I am not discounting that your other son was upset, but it sounds like he was more upset because HIS BROTHER didn't stop. The school can certainly talk to the boys, but I really believe a much more effective solution would be for YOUR SON'S to understand their roles in helping each other.
    mjande4

Answer by mjande4 at 7:52 PM on May. 20, 2011

• When another boy has to stop the other boys, and his Brother didn't help the situation I see them all as guilty. Also if I don't take care of this now whose to say it won't happen again..... I don't take anything like this lightly. I think that if parents don't take it seriously then they aren't doing their job for all of their children. Brother or not, ganging up on a younger child is wrong. Our 7 yr old was "tattle tailing", he didn't even come to me and tell me. I over heard him asking our 8 yr old why they all were doing that to him on the playground, and I heard our 8 yr old say that he hated him and his friends. Then I walked in the room, and came down on him like a ton of bricks. I wanted to make a quick impression, and I feel we did. His Dad also had a talk with him. As will the principle on Monday. Thanks ladies for all the answers, and points of view....
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:23 PM on May. 20, 2011

• "WASN'T" tattle tailing, is what i meant to type.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:24 PM on May. 20, 2011