Do you have an Overly HAPPY Child?

My 5yo DD is one of those kids that is far more often than not smiling and laughing and just enjoying life to its fullest. We've been complimented many times on what a happy little girl she is and have many time the comments of how she is the "happiest child" and questioning if she ever has a bad day...which she seldom ever does...

I've always just figured it was because she was born that way, that it was really not something that we were at all responsible for. But today she saw a doctor (therapist) who went on and on (and on and on) about how this is because of me and my husband. Because of how we raise her and the loving, nurturing, supportive environment in our household, etc.

For those who have a child like mine who is always happy and smiling...do you take credit for it?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 6:22 PM on May. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

•  

YES! This is her typical smile and she is generally in a very happy mood most of the time (though as most every female she has her moments). I'm not sure if it's a direct contributor from how she's been raised so far, it's been a bit of a rocky road but we've done our best. She was born smiling responsively (believe it or not) so i think it's just her nature. 

tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:28 PM on May. 20, 2011

• No, I don't take credit for it. My youngest is the easiest child I have ever met. He's always happy, always smiling and agreeable. He always behaves, always listens. It's awesome. My oldest is very very difficult, though. They've had the same life, same parents, etc, but they are completely different children.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:24 PM on May. 20, 2011

• My youngest is always happy. I think like you she was in some ways born that way. She has a great personality, is outgoind, and just generally very loving too. She will meet adults and kids and makes no issue of going up and hugging them and will go out of her way to say hello. For instance her grandma works for the courts and my dd has been introduced to almost every county employee. We went to pay the water bill and she ran passed me and to the back where the ladies sit to take payment. Well she had met the boss lady lol and was back there giving her hugs and talking to her, and the lady was talking with her too all happy to see dd. 

I guess part of it is she IS the baby and has 4 older sibs who baby her as much as me and her dad do.

Answer by gemgem at 6:35 PM on May. 20, 2011

• My Granddaughter is 99% happy ! She loves to smile and give us kisses and giggle and she loves her sisters' friends,etc. SHe is 10 months old and has always been happy and lovable. Her brother who is 10 is that way NOW-- but when he was a toddler, he had regular meltdowns. Her older sisters, twins, were usually moody. I think kids are born happy...or NOT! LOL.
    My kids were all different but my son was so cheerful he actually convinced some friends that they should have a baby! I mean,he was only a year old ad didn't talk wth them...LOL...but he was so happy, our friends were encouraged that there really WERE happy kids!
    I think we do encourage our kids to be happy by treating them with love and smiles too.But it is mainly the way they ARE.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 6:43 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Oh....OVERLY happy? A kid can never be TOO happy! :LOL!
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 6:48 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I wish I could take credit for my DD disposition. Our friends and relatives are jealous of her. I sometimes feel bad when a friends child throws a tantrum and my little one just watches and holds on to me.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 11:50 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Some children are blessed with happy dispositions and these are likely to last a lifetime. Count your blessings and enjoy your child. It is her nature but I am sure you guys have been loving too.
    blackisbetter

Answer by blackisbetter at 6:22 AM on May. 21, 2011