"Are you somehow challenged by or jealous of people who are capable of faith? Do you wish you weren't so tainted and jaded? Are your questions a product of a searching heart?"

This was asked of me (and presumably all) Atheists/Agnostics who question other belief systems, in my previous question.

*I can't name you per CM policy, but if you want to claim it, please do- I thought this warranted it's own thread. :)

So... My "non-believer" friends (yeah, I had to. lol) Care to provide some insight?

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 6:25 PM on May. 20, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Maybe I don't count, because I am "a believer," but I do sometimes envy the faith of others who seem naturally capable of much stronger faith than mine.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 6:28 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I believe but not in organized religion I think questioning anything shows you have thoughts of your own and even if you believe it you should still question it. I think your allowed to question a persons beliefs and if they are strong they will share and a change of wisdom will happen.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:28 PM on May. 20, 2011

• 1. No. Usually I'm just puzzled, but sometimes I feel sorry for them. 2. I don't think I'm tainted or jaded. 3. What questions?
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:29 PM on May. 20, 2011

• 1. I don't feel any feeling about those who have faith in something I do not. 2. Tainted and jaded about??? 3. My searching is completed. I found my path.

There is a misunderstanding I think, with Christains regarding Non-believers. We can not be anti god or angry at god because we don't believe there is one. We are not looking for something to replace this god we don't believe in, in the first place. Most of us are pretty happy and fullfilled.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 6:59 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I'm capable of faith. I just don't happen to believe in gods. There is a difference.
    I am neither tainted nor jaded.
    I don't have questions. I don't need to seek what isn't there.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 6:59 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I don't believe nonbelievers are jealous. I believe that they just don't believe, based on their understanding and worldview (which is no less valid than those of believers). Such a statement is highly presumptuous, IMO. That's like saying that people don't believe merely because they don't want to have to be held accountable (which we've heard here, I know). It's absurd and completely misses the point. It explains away valid opinions and thoughts (of those who don't believe) and replaces them with conjecture that only serves to make those who have a hard time accepting that some people don't believe feel better. Because if it has something to do with being rebellious or jealous or what have you then it's not that there really may be valid reason to not believe, if that makes any sense....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:02 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Why don't people think before they speak?   Let's use logic for a minute.  Jealousy is wanting what someone else has.  Since the LAST thing I want in my life is god, religion or faith, it is logical to assume that I'm not jealous, because if I did want it, I would acquire it.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:06 PM on May. 20, 2011

• believer here..heehee...i missed your last post or skipped through it.
    i don't think 'nons' are jealous or necessarily searching for anything. sometimes their words TOWARDS CERTAIN TOPICS/PEOPLE can seem jaded or bitter, probably due to circumstances or experience(s)...tainted??

" Are you somehow challenged by or jealous of people who are capable of faith?.."--this is the opposite of what is proposed to xtians quite often (at least in these sections on CM)..we get asked all the time if we are questioning our faith, simply for saying 'i don't know' to any number of questions posed concerning What Would God Do If...how would we know??
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:11 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Wow- tainted and jaded? Seriously? To the poser, do you consider yourself too tainted and jaded to believe in the Tooth Fairy? Are you jealous of my kids because they think that the Tooth Fairy is real and will give them money in exchange for teeth? Because that's basically the analogy you're putting forth.
    Anonymous

• Aw geesh getting it from both sides are we now. oh wait it's just another day on CM. I know enough of you all well enough to know that most of the time it's questioning to understand how others think. That's it no more. I understand why some don't believe, the more I see here on some days, the more I understand and want to give out a few dope slaps. Anyway dear I wish I wish I could help you with your head, apparently I have a magic touch that take away any headache. Get some rest.
    daps

Answer by daps at 7:29 PM on May. 20, 2011