my son can be a monster that wont lison 2 me. (help!)

I'm a single mom with no help from his dad and I can't tell him NO.

Elizabeth916

Asked by Elizabeth916 at 3:13 PM on Dec. 7, 2008 in General Parenting

• My daughter is almost 2 and she doesnt usually listen to me either. She just looks at me and smiles as she continues doing it or says NO. I dont have any advice because I cant get my own to listen, I just feel bad trying to punish her when she is so small. I just wnated you to know that your not alone.
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 3:16 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Tell him no and punish him. Being a parent isnt all rainbows and butterflies. You arent there to be his friend or always make him happy. Sometimes as a parent we have to say NO and discipline them so they dont grow up and be people who think they deserve something because they grace us with their presence. So its time to put on the big girl panties and read a couple parenting books or take parenting classes so you know how to handle this.
    Anonymous

• FIRST OF ALL YOU NEED TO TELL YOUR CHILD NO SOME TIMES . IT'S NOT GOOD TO GIVE IN ALL THE TIME. A MONSTER REALLY , THINK OF IT A DIFFRENT WAY. DONT SAY THINGS LIKE THAT IN FROUNT OF HIM OR HE WILL BE. GO TO CHURCH OR COUNSOLING ,SPORTS IS A GOOD ON TO . TRY TO FIND A GOOD MAN TO HELP. GO TO HIS SCHOOL ,THEY WOULD HELP FIND A MINTOR FOR HIM. I'M A SINGLE PARENT MOST MY LIFE OF 3 BOYS. I'VE BEEN THERE . NOW THAT THERE TEENS AND THERES A MAN IN MY LIFE . I STILL LOOK FOR HELP OUTSIDE HOME. SPORTS IS THE BEST ONE I'VE FOUND. GOOD LUCK.
    Janinehotmama

Answer by Janinehotmama at 3:21 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• What is he doing and why is he doing it? How old is he?

www.unconditionalparenting.com

get that boko it will help.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 3:24 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• As bad as you hate to your gonna have to inforce rules. I know they seem small and it feels harsh but its what they need to learn and grow. At 2 all children go through stages when they don't listen so don't feel like its you. I don't think it has anything to do with you being single, I thinks its just the mom in you. I'm married and have hubbys full support yet I hate to get on to my son. I've learned that I have to do time out with him though because he is a very well behaved child but with me he had begun to show out. Just start setting limits and know that in the long run its best for him. You may pick your battles, I do, some thing slide but the bigger things that could be bad on the long run is what I try to stop right away. I hope you find a system that works for you both and don't beat yourself up over something that will make it better for you both in the long run.
    ZakZaksmom

Answer by ZakZaksmom at 3:59 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Unless you train him to believe that you are the authority figure in his life, things will only get worse. If you can't tell him "no" at 2, how are you going to tell him "no" at 15? Parenting requires the establishing of boundaries and the enforcing of them. You will enjoy your child much more, and we will respect and obey you better when he knows what you expect of him and that you are going to discipline him when he fails to meet those expectations.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:56 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• My LO is 16 months old and we're doing the "time-out" method with him. He goes to a quiet place for one minute. Needless to say we have to do it countless times before he stops doing that thing (knocking over the lamp, pulling things out of the drawers, playing with the outlets) but he has stopped a few of them. I think consistency is the key.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 11:56 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• There is a reason why this age is known as the "Terrible Twos!" This is the time to establish boundaries and expectations. He is trying to test the boundaries, it is YOUR job to tell him what those boundaries are--and it won't happen on the first try--in fact until they are grown, children will ALWAYS test the boundaries. The more consistent you are, the easier it will get, but you can never let your guard down! Welcome to parenthood! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:28 PM on Dec. 8, 2008