I need ideas for landscaping a sloping backyard.

Have any of you built a retaining wall?

Ruthmom802

Asked by Ruthmom802 at 6:36 PM on May. 20, 2011 in Home & Garden

• ..a good year-round ground cover is pachysandra, periwinkle, or even a fast growing kind like japanese spurge or mondo grass. If you want trees, consider evergreens. i dont know the logistics, but its widely accepted as truth that evergreen trees root well on slopes and grow upright. if you have the resources (money) to grade the slope in terrace-fashion, that'd be a good option too. remember that trees, once their roots are in place, will diminish the extent of soil erosion.. so next year, you can plant pretty flowers and such.. without worrying they'll wash away. also, though you shouldn't quote me on this, it stands to reason that installing 'french drains' in the ground above the slope may help too? these can be made rather inexpensively.
    eatapeach

Answer by eatapeach at 7:05 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I haven't.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 10:57 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Yep, DH just built one in our backyard because it was washing away with the excessive rain we've been having. We live on a hill and our whole yard is terraced. We have a total of 5 terraces now, starting at the front/side yard for the first terrace (we don't actually have a front yard) and working down the hill to the backyard.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 7:05 PM on May. 20, 2011

• No experience here sorry
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 12:57 AM on May. 21, 2011

• I haven't either....
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 3:21 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I have never built a retaining wall. I did just talk with a man at our local park and he said they planted chicks & hens around the edge of their wall to help keep the dirt from coming out. He said they hold back the Earth.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 8:21 PM on May. 21, 2011

• No advice here, but good luck.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:07 AM on May. 22, 2011

• no, i would hire someone to make sure it's done right though
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:30 PM on May. 27, 2011