Is this a car buying red flag? Should we get out now while we can?

We applied for and was approved for a new (used) car at carmax. It was in another state so we waited 3 days for it to be shipped. It arrived today and we were set to fill out paperwork and pick it up in the morning. We just received a call from the dealer saying for some reason the car won't start and they will try to repair it Monday. In the mean time, we can still come in the morning, buy the car, but receive a loaner car til Monday. Is this our reason to RUN NOW?

I commented to him that it looks very bad on their part. He says any cars can have problems at any time and that's even more reason why we should buy the warranty he's been pushing on me. I wasn't planning on buying the warranty. The deductible is high and all the consumer rating sites say carmax don't honor the warranty well.

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 6:39 PM on May. 20, 2011 in Shopping

• Girl yeah...run like hell.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 6:50 PM on May. 20, 2011

• If you can get out. Lot of negatives
    sweet11-12

Answer by sweet11-12 at 6:42 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I wouldn't do it! Get away from that car now! They are trying to give it to you because they think you are suckers. Tell them you want a different vehicle or walk away!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 7:02 PM on May. 20, 2011

• You need a 3rd party to inspect the car before you buy it.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 7:37 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I wouldn't pay a dime until it is running.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 6:41 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Id tell him I changed my mind and want a car that didnt need to be fixed before they had me sign for it.

Answer by gemgem at 6:44 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Yes. I would run. You can claim that you agreed to purchase a car, running, in good condition. This is not it.

Depending on how much you have to spend, you can find some great deals at the dealerships for new cars . . . .

Check out Nissan Versa, Ford Focus, and others in that class. They are very inexpensive, have a warranty, and will be running!
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 6:58 PM on May. 20, 2011

• If you had to put money down for them to bring the car? If so they may not give it back they may come up with some lame excuse.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 12:13 AM on May. 21, 2011

• Finally got in touch with hubby and told him. He totally agrees. We trust the Toyota name the car has, but we think what this dealer is asking us to do is just plain wrong.
    keisha613

Comment by keisha613 (original poster) at 7:17 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Now that I think about it more, I'm getting more pissed. I mean who does this guy think we are? Why in the hell would we BUY a car that we haven't even test drove? What stupid truck does he think we rode in on? And to make that smartass comment about how all cars can have problems shows some nerve. I knew used salesmen can be sleezy, but really?!
    keisha613

Comment by keisha613 (original poster) at 7:25 PM on May. 20, 2011