Hmm.... This was interesting too...

...bear with me, I've been sick-ish all week and my headache is creeping back up, which makes coherent paragraphs almost impossible. lol

Now- this comment is what sparked the question "Thank you God for creating doctors and scientists who learn modern medicine."

What tweaked my brain was "learn modern medicine". Which is something that has been developed through human trial and error, through research, observation and development.
I've heard the statement time too numerous to count, that "god created science" (by the way, not what the owner of the comment said- I didn't take away, or add to, or take it out of context). I've wondered how people come to that conclusion, and for the sake of argument, how one could come to the conclusion that god also created modern medicine?
(again, not what the owner of the comment said- it is what sparked the thought).

When something good is caused by modern medicine, by science, by doctors practicing it, how can a god (any god) be thanked for what man has not only created, but also is practicing?

*I'm sure I'll have to edit this to clarify- I'm kinda out of it.

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 6:57 PM on May. 20, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Maybe you should lay down and ask questions some other time.
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 7:03 PM on May. 20, 2011

• just playin' around here..but those who say statements to that effect merely accredit God with ALL creation..materials, brains, so forth..and are thanking him for making those things possible because of creating ALL things. trial and error undoubtedly 'fix' or conclude certain materials heal or mend broken bodies/diseases, but where would the trial and error begin/end without the materials or brains used to research?

just trying to 'splain things by that line of thinking. its up to the individual who they accredit these good things to, or not.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:04 PM on May. 20, 2011

• "Maybe you should lay down and ask questions some other time."

Or... maybe you could give some indicator regarding what, exactly, you failed to comprehend so that I am in a position to better explain my curiosity.
    ObbyDobbie

Comment by ObbyDobbie (original poster) at 7:05 PM on May. 20, 2011

• It all takes wisdom and knowledge--which comes from God (imo)
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 7:34 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Russel Nelson is accredited for inventing a new method for heart surgury that has saved many lives. When he tells the strory of how invented it, he says it was God inspiring him. I think God does inspire a lot of wonderful science, art, music, etc,
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 7:39 PM on May. 20, 2011

• hmm I have often wondered this too. When I was at my best friend's daughter's funeral back in October, her father's side Preacher was bashing the doctors and saying "Thank God" this and "Thank God " that but he failed to thank these amazing doctors who stood by this little girl's side for 7 months and who showed up to her funeral with tears!
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 8:01 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I do not believe wisdom comes from any higher being rather breaking the barrier of one's self and looking beyond what is the norm to what could be. That is just my opinion anyway
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 8:02 PM on May. 20, 2011

• DKhilly- If you'd care to elaborate, I would appreciate it. I understand your response, but I don't think you understood the question. Do you believe that it is "inspired" or "created" by god, and if so, how? Why can man not be credited with the incredibly critical, analytical minds that we have?
    ObbyDobbie

Comment by ObbyDobbie (original poster) at 8:18 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Well, I think God created the laws of nature, and a human analytical mind has the capacity to discover them.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 9:02 PM on May. 20, 2011

• dkhilly's post was great, but since I agree with it I am not the best judge of whether it is clear to those that don't.

If you believe God created Man and created him with the incredibly critical, analytical mind he has, why would you credit Man? (I understand that if you don't this wouldn't hold true)

It would be like crediting the oven for making biscuits, instead of the baker.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 9:04 PM on May. 20, 2011