Would you be a little more than concerned if your child brought this home from Bible camp?

Larissa in Tacoma, Washington recently sent her 7-year-old son, Silas, to a week of Bible camp. When he came home, Larissa says, she wondered if the experience hadn’t left him a bit…conflicted…especially after seeing the pillow he made during craft time.

(“Rouls,” by the way, is not Silas’s last name. That’s the 7-year-old spelling of “RULES.”)

Silas [rules] —  God's Word is Comforting —  DOOM

http://www.passiveaggressivenotes.com/2010/07/18/gods-word-is-well-a-little-confusing-at-least-for-a-7-year-old/

tasches

Asked by tasches at 7:02 PM on May. 20, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• 3 concerns...but the last concern would be the biggest for me.

1) whats my kid learning at Bible camp?
    2) what inside my kid sparked him to draw this?
    3) who is letting my 7 year old child play Doom?
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 7:53 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Wait wait wait. This article is from the summer of 2010 Did anyone consider the Doom games that were being released and popular during this time?
    Anonymous

• Honestly I would be more concerned about the child. Having worked for many VBS and taught Sunday School, you would be amazed at the things kids come out with that they were never taught. It makes church leaders questions the parents and the parents question the church leaders, but in reality nobody actually taught the kid anything like that. I would say the child needs to see a councilor.

Yeah, I know that is going to be a popular answer with some, but I'm giving you honest, personal experience.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 7:08 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Did anyone consider the Doom games that were being released and popular during this time? --

DING!DING!DING! WE HAVE A WINNER!!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:27 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I would be more concerned with what my child has been playing/watching to prompt this than what he was being taught at Bible School. I would question him as to why he wrote and drew what he did and if need be question the camp...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:12 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Somebody is feeling a little uptight today it would seem.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 7:12 PM on May. 20, 2011

• That is true Anon. Doom is a very popular game. That goes back to what I was saying about kids coming out with things that neither their parents or their church taught them. Imagine that, a kid might pick up something violent and it isn't Christianity's fault....gasp
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 7:27 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I would just ask him to explain the pictures and words he added. My son draws all kinds of crazy imagery... if you know his interests well enough, you can see that most of it is drawn from Star Wars (and sadly, I've seen those movies with him so many times that I can actually pinpoint specific scenes he is depicting even though he has a learning disability that affects his spatial processing so his pictures are sometimes less than easy to interpret!) Just because it was drawn in Bible camp doesn't mean it was in reference to Bible camp... my son draws Star Wars at school, at home, on the kids' menus at restaurants... you name it. That being said, I would definitely talk to child about it to see if something is scaring him... I can remember going to my best friend's very 'fire and brimstone' oriented church as a young child and being terrified for months afterwards!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 7:35 PM on May. 20, 2011

• My first thought was that he has an obsession with the Doom video game ... other than that, wouldn't give it too much more thought. Video game angle aside, looks like most of the drawings I've seen from 7-yr old boys and some girls.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:23 PM on May. 20, 2011

• That would definitely prompt some deeper investigations as to what the children learned at this particular camp, Yes
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:05 PM on May. 20, 2011