Should I give the boys their own room?

My problem is if we give them their own room we are giving up the master bedroom with a bathroom (to one of the kids) and moving our bedroom to the bonus room. The other concern is we rent the house and the bonus room has three brick walls that are not insulated and I am afraid this winter it will be too cold in the bonus room (there is no heat in there either). Ideas or suggestions welcome. The boys are 11 and 12 and fight as all siblings do but have shared a room for a majority of their life.

smurfyangel

Asked by smurfyangel at 7:09 PM on May. 20, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• They don't NEED their own rooms. Sharing a room can be a life lesson in how to get along with others and compromise.

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 12:56 PM on May. 21, 2011

• YOU shouldn't have to give up the master room for your kid. Why can't one of them use the bonus room?
    amberpatterson

Answer by amberpatterson at 7:11 PM on May. 20, 2011

• As a child who grew up as one of 10 siblings, I promise you those kids are not going to die over having to share a room. I would have been happy to share a room with only ONE of my siblings, but we grew up just fine. I agree with the others...keep your room...they can share or one can take the other room.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 7:30 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Don't give up your master bedroom. When the kids ask for their own rooms, tell them the option of converting the bonus room into a bedroom. If they want it, they'll do it!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 7:12 PM on May. 20, 2011

• just put eletric heaters in there and losts of blankets
    alliep2011

Answer by alliep2011 at 7:13 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Why would you have to give up the master bedroom? I would definitely separate them into their own rooms. I have twin boys that thought they were joined at the hip. I finally separated them, with much opposition. As kids hit their tweens, they start needing their own space. They need their own privacy and area to call their own. The best space heater you can buy is the oil filled radiator heaters. You can get them at Walmart for a very reasonable price. There is no open elements to worry about. And the radiated heat is great. I have one that I use to supplement with in our poorly insulated TX walls when we are having a particularly chilly winter.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 7:19 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I wouldn't give up the Master. It is my sanity. Give the oldest the option of the bonus room.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:16 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I'd give one of the kids the bonus room instead!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:18 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I wouln't give them seperate rooms. I'd stay in the Master bedroom & let them share a room. My sister & I shared a room for many years & she was 7 years older than me! It's not like they are confined to their room 24/7.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:21 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I shared a room with my sis until I was 18 and she was 15. worked fine for us.
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 7:27 PM on May. 20, 2011