How can I keep my kids from eating us out of house and home over the summer? They are 12, 11, 11, and 6.

Both dad and I work full time but are less then 10 minutes from the house. They are for the most part very responsible but for some reason want to eat non stop during the day.

meljac

Asked by meljac at 7:23 PM on May. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• You leave them home alone? Good luck. I am home all day with mine and they still eat us out of house and home. You might also want to check state laws on leaving kids home alone. There is usually a code under the fire safety laws that says you cannot.
    Anonymous

• One summer I literallly had to lock the pantry. Lunches were made before I left for work and snacks were set out. The next summer they didn't sit on their butts all summer. My oldest got a job and my youngest was signed up for as many activities as I could get him to.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:26 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I wish I knew I have the same issue but I am home with them all day
    smurfyangel

Answer by smurfyangel at 7:38 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Same here, I"m a sahm and the kids seem to want to eat 24/7
    anninflorida

Answer by anninflorida at 7:47 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Pad locks!!
    Amy_Scott

Answer by Amy_Scott at 8:12 PM on May. 20, 2011

• The first thing would be to not leave them home all by themselves. Thats not legal is it????
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 11:23 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Send them to camp.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 11:43 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Give them something to eat every 3 hours, with protein in it. If they are eating sugary crap or lots of carbs they will be hungry all day. Our city has free lunches in the summer at the schools. I take advantage because they need people to or the programs get closed down.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 1:02 AM on May. 21, 2011

• It is against the law to leave children under 13 home alone.
    blackisbetter

Answer by blackisbetter at 6:16 AM on May. 21, 2011

• Depending on the state you live in is what determines if you can leave them or not. Here in OH they leave it up to the parent to judge the maturity level of the child in charge.

Now, to answer your question. They need some structure...my kids will do this too if they are bored. I would get them in some day camps or sports/art camps to keep them busy.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:25 AM on May. 21, 2011