Urgent advice needed(PIOG) adult content

Sorry this may be to much info......BUT I need advice......my 2.5 year old puked twice in an hour.....and had a bit of a diarrhea.......This may sound like a dumb question...but I never had my kids do that and I'm not to sure on what should I do.....how should I deal with that. I know I have to make sure he's hydrated....He looks a bit tired but doesn't look like anything is bothering him. He's playing and is in a pretty good mood (except those few episodes)....He's drinking water. He wanted some watermelon..(but that didn't "settle").........He doesn't have a fever.

MommyOK

Asked by MommyOK at 7:42 PM on May. 20, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Just keeping insisting he drink the water

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:43 PM on May. 20, 2011

• small sips of water or tea. I always give my kids mint tea (herbal) with sugar. Nibbles of toast, crackers, rice - brat diet - banana, rice, apple, toast.

my oldest has had a stomach virus twice in the past 4 weeks. From our experience I would seriously restrict dairy and fatty/oily foods for a while.

Hope he feels better soon and everyone else stays healthy!
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 7:46 PM on May. 20, 2011

• you can try jello, gingerale, white toast, saltines. If it doesn't pass overnight call your doctor in AM.
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 7:48 PM on May. 20, 2011

• If you have some apple juice you can make some homemade pedialyte by using equal parts water and juice and add just a pinch of salt. Small sips. Saltines, small bites. His body is just probably just kicking something out. If you are still nervous, call the Pediatrician, the nurse on call can give you other pointers.
    Aneya

Answer by Aneya at 7:48 PM on May. 20, 2011

• All of the above is good advice
    smurfyangel

Answer by smurfyangel at 7:54 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Sounds like a stomach bug. I don't typically over react to my girls' illnesses, but I had them both throwing up every 5 or 6 minutes for several hours not too long ago and that made me very nervous. I planned to take them to their pediatrician's the next morning, but they got out whatever it was that was bothering them and they were fine.

I wouldn't rush to the ER or anything. Just try to offer small amounts of water at a time...no food just yet, and give it a day unless a scarier symptom arises. If there is a fever, treat that with tylenol or motrin. Oh, and lots of rest.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:15 PM on May. 20, 2011

• water may be too heavy for him, try pedialyte, even some flat ginerale or sprite help also emetrol is good for nausea and vomitting too.
    Leelee1008

Answer by Leelee1008 at 9:58 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Push the fluids (not dairy or too much juice), mostly water or watered down Gatorade. If he's not sluggish or running a fever, it could just be something he ate. If there is a fever or he seems like he doesn't efel well, just give Tylenol or Motrin and let him rest. Vomiting and diarrhea is a problem if they get too dehydrated, so just push fluids.
    You can try the BRAT diet for the diarrhea (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast...or any bland foods like potatoes, rice cakes, crackers). Give it several days.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 10:40 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Looks like you've gotten some pretty good advice. Kids can scare the bejeezus out of you when they get sick like that!
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 2:33 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Thank you so much to all of you ladies...I feel so much better that I can get advice in such a short matter and not have to debate about DO I or DON'T I take him to the ER..THANK YOU! ...He's doing much better and seems like nothing ever happened :)
    MommyOK

Comment by MommyOK (original poster) at 4:13 PM on May. 21, 2011