VBAC and a "proven pelvis"

So an OB told me yesterday that VBACs are thought to be a safe choice for women with a "proven pelvis" (a woman who has had at least one vaginal birth prior to a C-section), but VBACs are not thought to be a safe option for women whose first birth was caesarian.

I delivered my son (first pregnancy) via emergency c-section, and I'm hoping for future vaginal deliveries. Can anyone share their experiences of VBAC with and "UNproven pelvis?" How did it go?

GoodyBrook

Asked by GoodyBrook at 7:56 PM on May. 20, 2011 in Health

• I've never heard that term (proven pelvis, unproven pelvis) but my last child was born 11 years ago. I think the most important thing to help answer your question is to know why you had to have the emergency c-section in the first place. I also had one and because of the reason for the emergency, I did not hesitate to concede to having my next child via c-section as well.
    coronado25

Answer by coronado25 at 8:05 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Pre-eclampsia was the reason for my c-section... (Not likely to be a repeat of pre-eclampsia in future pregnancies, though!)
    GoodyBrook

Comment by GoodyBrook (original poster) at 8:11 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I think either you misunderstood your doctor, or she doesn't know what she's talking about. On one hand, yes, having a "proven pelvis" is a good thing. That just lets the dr know that a baby can get through okay. But the major risk in a VBAC is uterine rupture, which has nothing to do with the size of your pelvis. Uterine rupture is when your c-section scar splits open, and you start to bleed really bad. No one can predict whether or not your uterus will rupture, it's a risk that every c-section mom faces when going through a VBAC. But a natural VBAC is much more successful than a drugged VBAC.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 8:16 PM on May. 20, 2011

• My sister had to get a C section with her first pregnancy due to some complications that could affect the baby.
    Her second child was delivered VBAC 2 years later. She had NO problems and the doctor encouraged her to try for the VBAC.
    Granted this was 15 years ago. I don't know if things changed since then.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:18 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I've had 2 c/s (only 2 pregnancies) but at any moment about to have my 3rd child my dr has no problem with the fact that I've never had a vaginal birth. It mostly depends on ur dr I would get a 2nd opinion.
    lalala09

Answer by lalala09 at 8:18 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Yeah, a second opinion will certainly be sought should we decide on another pregnancy... ( But it's a hospital policy according to the OB, and all doctors who deliver in the hospital are aware of it).
    GoodyBrook

Comment by GoodyBrook (original poster) at 11:40 PM on May. 20, 2011

• My oldest (10) was born via emergency c-section. I was told by that doctor that if I chose to, I could do VBAC if I were to get pregnant again.

I did get pregnant again, and again, and again. I have 4 children, 3 of them VBAC. My best friend in the entire world also had a c-section with her first baby (who is slightly older than my son), and she just did an at home VBAC birth...and this boy was HUGE!

So yes, it is certainly possible to have a VBAC. I recovered SO MUCH quicker after vag birth vs c-section. I could barely move after having my oldest, was in a LOT of pain...but with vag births, I was able to get up and walk around, minimal pain, etc.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 1:15 AM on May. 21, 2011