How do you explain tp your tween girl that at your age kids are going to change their minds often over friendships and dont take it to heart?

NYCrAzyMom

Asked by NYCrAzyMom at 8:33 PM on May. 20, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Have you seen the movie 'Odd Girl Out'? It might be a good one to watch with her and use it as a discussion board.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 8:44 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Thanks she goes to a small school and often girls there run in clicks. Just trying to teach her she dont need to follow them and that her friends she has like her for her.
    NYCrAzyMom

Comment by NYCrAzyMom (original poster) at 8:53 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Girls are so strange about friendship. My daughter had a best friend in 3rd and 4th grade. They were always together. Sleepovers the whole nine yards. When 5th grade started the girl decided she wouldn't talk to my daughter anymore. No reason at all. My daughter was devastated. She ofcourse made new friends, but I think this really impacted her. They are in 8th grade now and are friendly at school, but have not gotten together outside of school. It is just part of growing up unfortunatly.
    jcm62497

Answer by jcm62497 at 7:54 PM on May. 21, 2011

• My daughter is in 5th grade and shes had a few close friends tht its been the same situation as your daughter. No reason at all her friend either is mean and says she dont want to be friends no more, or 2 days l8r want my daughter to forget and just be friends like nothin happened lol. Your right part of growing up i guess at tht age.
    NYCrAzyMom

Comment by NYCrAzyMom (original poster) at 12:39 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I don't know if you can explain it. You can just be there for her and let her know she'll always have you. There may come a time when she decides she doesn't want to be friends with someone either. It's a learning experience.
    not-the-momma

Answer by not-the-momma at 12:08 PM on May. 25, 2011

• It's a hard lesson for kids, especially for girls. All you can do is teach her how to cope. Coping skills are very important, but something kids need to find out on their own and accept the consquences for their actions. But I know it's hard. I have a 12 year old girl and I've had to deal with the same problems
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:24 PM on May. 25, 2011