..ok, mamas, this is gross: adult content

..for months now, i've been using tweezers to pull what looks like (literally) hard whitish colored plastic from my mother's back. she initially thought it was a splinter.. cos it actually snagged on her clothes. its gotten on my nerves.. as assuming its part of her alien tracking device no longer sated my curiosity.. so i googled it. it seems she has an excess of 'keratin' in her body; as its not being absorbed after production? so, essentially, she's growing a 'fingernail' from her back. this is, apparently, the same thing that causes women in the deep of the amazon and such to grow 'horns' from their heads and is even akin to the poor fellow in the news a few years back whose skin had become like 'tree bark'. if im not mistaken, its called a 'keratin horn'. does anyone have any experience with this?

eatapeach

Asked by eatapeach at 8:42 PM on May. 20, 2011 in Health

• No, but I would say she should be checked out by her doctor. Good luck!
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 8:46 PM on May. 20, 2011

• does it come back after you remove it?
    princessputter

Answer by princessputter at 8:48 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I have never heard of this but upon research I think what you are referring to ins a cotaneous horn. Seems it requires a biopsy and surgical removal as well as possible topical chemotherapy. I would take her to a dermatologist.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:49 PM on May. 20, 2011

• She is really see a doctor!
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 8:58 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I saw that documentary.

Yes, she should go to the dermatologist. If they cannot help her, she may need to go to a specialist in immune system disorders and see if they have an answer.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 9:07 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I am so sorry I read this post. Yes, that is super gross! I would say make an appointment with a dermatologist immediately! So sorry that is happening to your mom. OK, going to bed to have a nightmare about fingernails in places they shouldn't be now...
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 9:43 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Hmmm...I have pulled a few really small oddly shaped hard, flat, black plasticy things that were shaped like a tiny shell of a tiny sunflower seed out of my LP's cheek and then shoulder in the last couple years. I thought it was a piece of plastic at first, but when I found something identical the second time and then the third time, it makes me wonder if this could be something like what you're talking about! They're small though, like the size of half a sesame seed.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:01 PM on May. 20, 2011

• ..she won't see a doctor. therein lies the problem. its not an issue of whether or not its 'cancer' and that she's scared to find out. its simply that if it IS cancer (or something really bad) she wants to happily live her life aloof. its something she's very adamant about. just hoping someone had experience with this.. and could set MY mind at ease.
    eatapeach

Comment by eatapeach (original poster) at 10:02 PM on May. 20, 2011

• In the documentary about it, it turned not to be cancer, but there was an immune system issue that allowed the growth to flourish.

If she is requiring you to come pull it out, you an require her to be seen. You shouldn't have to deal with a medical issue of someone else alone.

Sometimes, we have to force our parents to get treatment because we love them.

Sorry mama.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 10:53 AM on May. 21, 2011

• take a pic of the abnormality and post it along with your question. It would help if we could see what you are talking about. The body is a strange thing!
    Queen0Hearts

Answer by Queen0Hearts at 10:57 AM on May. 21, 2011