37 week exam

So I will be 37 weeks tomorrow. Today they did my Strep B culture, and an internal. I am 3cm dialated and 50% effaced. I have been having contractions pretty regularly, BH and a round of false labor a couple weeks ago (at which time they checked me and I was dialated). So anyhow, I am wondering how long could it be before labor starts? Is it wrong of me to want to try some of the old wives tales to try to induce labor? I'm getting very excited to meet my second daughter!

LoveBuggsMommie

Asked by LoveBuggsMommie at 8:47 PM on May. 20, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I have an appointment on June 1st to get my Strep B culture test thing, and I think they are going to check me too. I have been having contractions regularly and already had to get the shot a little over a month ago to stop the contractions. I wish my son would come already, I am really excited to meet him, see him, and hold him, so I know how you feel. I dont see anything wrong with trying your own ways to induce labor. But don't be too disappointed if it doesnt work. If she realllly isnt ready, then she will be stubborn, but if youre already dilating then you probably have a better chance of it working than I did. Good Luck! <3
    lizjones

Answer by lizjones at 8:50 PM on May. 20, 2011

• You can be dilated for a very long time before you go into labor. With my first 2, I was dilated at 2-3cm for a month and then had to be induced! With my 3rd at 36 weeks I went from 0cm to 4 in less than 48 hours and had the baby in 3 hours after arriving at the hospital!
    You can go on long walks that is usually the best way - or to have sex!
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 9:01 PM on May. 20, 2011

• It could be tonight, it could be a month. Wives tales could work, most won't hurt, but they will only work if your body is ready.
    MamaJane

Answer by MamaJane at 9:09 PM on May. 20, 2011

• My SIL went in today as well, 37 weeks. She was dialated to a 4 and 80 percent effaced. She went into labor an hour later. I was 3 cm dialated and 80 percent effaced at 40 weeks and had to be induced a week later. Could be today could be a few weeks from now...you never know. Just be prepared. Baby will be here soon :)
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 9:10 PM on May. 20, 2011

• And you could try a few things to get labor going, but do remember baby will only come when ready. The only thing I would dicourage is the castor oil trick. That could be dangerous. Good luck!
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 9:13 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Why do you want to make your baby come out?

Sounds like you're excited but she isn't ready yet obviously.
    She will be ready sometime in May or June and then she'll be sure to let you know!
    ;-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:33 AM on May. 21, 2011