Is drinking water really that important for loosing weight?

So here goes. In the last 3 weeks i've lost 14 lbs just from eating super healthy and putting nothing bad in my mouth. The only thing is that i've barely been drinking any water. I'm ocd about checking the scale at least two times a day and when I dring a ton of water it seems like the numbers jump higher and then dont drop back down. I know this isn't logical but i feel like wate is keeping me from loosing. Anybody had experience from drinking lots of water when dieting? does it really help?

mandar

Asked by mandar at 8:52 PM on May. 20, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• It does help. First it keeps you well hydrated which helps your body deal with the fat breakdown efficiently. Second if you skimp on water your body will retain water to assure it has enough. Third Drinking a glass of water before a meal helps you feel fuller and eat less.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:59 PM on May. 20, 2011

• It helps to keep your body hydrated and to keep your muscles hydrated as well. Making recovery from workouts better.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:02 PM on May. 20, 2011

• yes water is vital.. one, it flushes toxins (like excess fats) out of your system, gives you energy to be motivated and burn more calories, three.. its a filler, when drank before meals helps you eat less.

and makes for healthier skin, etc.
    how do you know how much to drink? take 70% of your weight.. ex. 135 X . 70 = 94.5 ounces of water a day or 11.8 glasses of 8 ounces a day to be split up by the hour. any less and you will retain water because you arent hydrated enough causing water weight gain rather than loss
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:59 PM on May. 20, 2011

• It helps while LOSING weight because there are many times when your tummy feels empty and you think you need to eat but it is due to THIRST. ANd for health reasons, you should be drinking about 6 glasses of water everyday. Your kidneys NEED water to help flush out impurities which is the function of kidneys. I lost weight by eating healthy and drinking about 64 ounces of water every day and now I automatically only drink water,nothing else. Try it and soon you will want to eliminate all other beverages,such as sodas which are really bad for your health. Sodas help you gain weight, not LOSE weight.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 8:59 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Yes, you will put on "water" weight, but I truly believe it helps you to lose weight in the long run. At least it has for me. I stopped drinking soda and went to drinking water, and its made a big difference.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 9:00 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Everyone's system is different, but in general it is good to stay hydrated and water is the best means for that. As for losing weight, in association with drinking lots of water, I can't speak on it because not everyone loses weight the same way. I have a friend who never drinks water, she drinks coffee and soda only, but her body obviously takes the water content from that and it's fine for her. Her skin is flawless and it's always baffled me since she doesn't drink actual water.
    lore_tex

Answer by lore_tex at 9:08 PM on May. 20, 2011

• It helps you flush out fats and toxins, helps your metabolism stay running, and helps you feel full. It is so necessary for every organ to function well, that I would definitely make sure you follow your doctor's recommendation. Your body will get used to the amount, and the numbers won't go crazy on that scale once your body is used to the normal amount of water...they will start going down again.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:53 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I never cut out water to the point of being thirsty. I still drink several glasses a day. I'm talking more about the fact that my doctor recomended I drink over 100ozs a day and that makes me feel heavy. I do not have a eating disorder and i'm not developing one I would just like to be in a bikini this summer and not a one peice and a cover up.
    mandar

Comment by mandar (original poster) at 9:12 PM on May. 20, 2011

• That's a high number your doctor is recommending. The current RDA for women is 2.7 liters, about 10-11 cups (8oz each) per day, including water from foods. It's definitely best if you don't drink your calories and stick to water. If you're dehydrated, and you start drinking water, your body will hold onto that water until it balances itself back out, which can make you feel bloated for a short time. However, it's when you're dehydrated that you tend to retain water most. I agree that water helps flush out toxins and helps your kidneys. The more diluted your urine the better (to a point, anyway). Also, the first sign of dehydration, even before thirst, is fatigue, so if you're dehydrated, you'll have less energy for exercise. If you want to know how much water to drink to make up for water lost during exercise, weigh yourself before and after, and drink 2 cups (16 oz) for every pound lost.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:00 AM on May. 21, 2011