Can you color your hair while pregnant?

Mrs.Gaddis

Asked by Mrs.Gaddis at 9:08 PM on May. 20, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• it's not recommended
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 9:09 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I've heard you're not supposed to but I did. I even colored my hair the night I went into labor. LOL my baby came out fine. I don't see the big deal.
    mmsfirstone

Answer by mmsfirstone at 9:09 PM on May. 20, 2011

• You can, just make sure you are in a well ventelated area.
    MamaJane

Answer by MamaJane at 9:11 PM on May. 20, 2011

• yes but the dyes with amoniac in them
    SamJ321

Answer by SamJ321 at 9:17 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Yes, you can. Just wait until your first trimester is over, be in a well ventilated area, and try a small piece of hair first because the pregnancy hormones can change the way the color will turn out.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 9:19 PM on May. 20, 2011

• can you yes..

the biggest concerns are the amonia in the hair colors developer. So it's recommended to wait until after the first trimester and/or use a demi permanent color the first trimester or entire pregnancy.. and to try not to decolorize(or bleach, or strip, all the same thing) your hair because you use a higher volume developer which can be a little more dangerous. Salons are well ventilated so concern should be minimized if you go there (its a closed in bathroom with no fan or ventilation tha can be more dangerous). It's also best to keep those with amonia off the scalp

You know how the doctor recommends not to change kitty liter right? yeah well that's because of the amonia in the urine. so yes there is a level of caution that should be taken. HOWEVER that said, I don't know a single woman that has ever had complications linked to coloring their hair, or from working in a salon doing colors all day long.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:10 PM on May. 20, 2011

• NOW the second concern.. with pregnancies your hormones change, thus your hair changes.. so colors may not take the same way they normally do, same with perms, etc. So be aware that your color may not turn out the same as it use to during pregnancy.

oh and don't listen to samj321, she's obviously way off with her terminology and mixing up her facts completely.

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:13 PM on May. 20, 2011

• they say not to,but if you get the ammonia free then yes.
    CristaJordan

Answer by CristaJordan at 8:28 AM on May. 21, 2011

• I did, just not as often (like once a trimester), and I used henna dyes, and did it in a room with open windows and a fan.
    musicspeak4me

Answer by musicspeak4me at 10:33 AM on May. 21, 2011

• Yes you can you just have to wait until your second tristmer to do it but your hair my not take the color. I dyed my hair while I was pregnant with my son but the color didn't last as long.

LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 10:34 AM on May. 21, 2011