Why celebrate Christmas if you don't believe in Christ?

joy2bamom

Asked by joy2bamom at 3:53 PM on Dec. 7, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Why celebrate if you dont believe? I think becuase its just tradition. Christmas is not really all about christ anymore. It should be but unfortunatlly our society is way to focused on materialistic things under the tree and who is going to have the best turkey!
    Its a sick sad thing actually. The focus is off Christ and on earthly possesions.
    ReadyToRage

Answer by ReadyToRage at 3:58 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Why not celebrate Christmas is you don't believe in Christ?
    Anonymous

• Cuz they want stuff
    Anonymous

• ummm because it a holiday
    Anonymous

• anon 3:54 i haven't gotten anything for christmas in yeears. we have fun with christmas and it is not about the gifts its the decorating and cooking and being together. maybe your just bitter cuz you don't get stuff. why do we always have to go through drama no matter what it is . this will go on at easter too and valentines day and soooo on you people really need to get a hobby
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 4:02 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I can assure you I don't celebrate Halloween. I am a Christian and Christmas IS all about Christ in my family.
    ashkyef3

Answer by ashkyef3 at 4:02 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Answered at 3:54 PM on Dec. 7, 2008 by: Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Why not celebrate Christmas is you don't believe in Christ?

I really wasn't looking for smart ass answers. Obviously CHRISTmas is a celebration surrounding CHRIST being born. If you don't believe in him, I was just genuinely wondering what the celebration is for and to you.
    joy2bamom

Answer by joy2bamom at 4:03 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• You know, people who treat it as a secular holiday are NOT doing it just because they're materialistic. You can celebrate for nearly the same reasons as someone who is very religious, but without the Christ aspect. Gathering with family and spending time together goes for everyone.

We don't celebrate it as a religious holiday, but I am a Christian.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:04 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• It's not about christ in the first place. It is an pagan holiday called Yule that the christians modified in order to convert the pagans to christianity. The day of Dec. 25th was selected by the pope to celebrate the christ mass. But why do you even care why I choose to celebrate or not?? It is more and more a secular holiday. I am celebrating the original holiday of Yule. I can't help it if the traditions are oddly similar to your christmas. But in a time that is SUPPOSED to be about peace on earth and goodwill towards your fellow man, Have a Merry Christmas or whatever holiday you choose to celebrate at this time of year.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 4:07 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I get plenty of stuff because I work and so does my husband but theres no point in someone celebrating the birth of Christ if you dont believe in Christ. The only reason to do so you admit is to EAT and spend time with family (great) and I guarantee OPEN gifts or see ppl open what you got them. That gives you a sense of accomplishment in your life as it would anyone. But dont assume that I dont get anything for Christmas because I GET PLENTY and promise you its because I am surely blessed. Im sorry you are so bitter. Ill pray for you.
    Anonymous