The Audacity of a Dope!

White House on War Powers Deadline: 'Limited' US Role in Libya Means No Need to Get Congressional Authorization

In an effort to satisfy those arguing he needs to seek congressional authorization to continue US military activity in accordance with the War Powers Resolution, President Obama wrote a letter to congressional leaders this afternoon suggesting that the role is now so “limited” he does not need to seek congressional approval.

“Since April 4,” the president wrote, “U.S. participation has consisted of: (1) non-kinetic support to the NATO-led operation, including intelligence, logistical support, and search and rescue assistance; (2) aircraft that have assisted in the suppression and destruction of air defenses in support of the no-fly zone; and (3) since April 23, precision strikes by unmanned aerial vehicles against a limited set of clearly defined targets in support of the NATO-led coalition's efforts.”

A senior administration official told ABC News that the letter is intended to describe “a narrow US effort that is intermittent and principally an effort to support to support the ongoing NATO-led and UN-authorized civilian support mission and no fly zone.”

“The US role is one of support,” the official said, “and the kinetic pieces of that are intermittent.”

From the beginning of the U.S. military intervention in Libya, the Obama administration has cited the 1973 War Powers Act as the legal basis of its ability to conduct military activities for 60 days without first seeking a declaration of war from Congress. The military intervention started on March 19; Congress was notified on March 21. Those 60 days expire today.

The president thanked the congressional leaders – House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Kentucky --- for the support that they have “demonstrated for this mission and for our brave service members, as well as your strong condemnation of the Qaddafi regime.”

The president voiced support for a bipartisan resolution drafted by Senators John Kerry, D-Mass., John McCain, R-Ariz., Carl Levin, D-Mich., Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., Lindsey Graham, R-SC, and Joe Lieberman, I-Conn., stating that Congress “supports the U.S. mission in Libya and that both branches are united in their commitment to supporting the aspirations of the Libyan people for political reform and self-government…Congressional action in support of the mission would underline the U.S. commitment to this remarkable international effort.”

Earlier this month, Kerry – who chairs the Senate Foreign Relations Committee – described his resolution as “in limbo.”

-Jake Tapper

-Eilish-

Asked by -Eilish- at 9:25 PM on May. 20, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• This man (I use the term loosely) just really infuriates me!

slap

-Eilish-

Comment by -Eilish- (original poster) at 9:26 PM on May. 20, 2011

• hehehehe. Guess I'll get deployed to libya in another "non" war.......
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 9:32 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Dang Audrice! I'm sorry. I'm pro military, but I'm so opposed to the people in charge of the military right now.
    -Eilish-

Comment by -Eilish- (original poster) at 9:34 PM on May. 20, 2011

• He's running our military way too thin, and I think that is his purpose :( I don't think I remember a more anti-military CIC than the one we have now (since I've been born, anyway).
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 9:44 PM on May. 20, 2011

• With every passing day he does something new that is so arrogant it takes my breath away. I am speechless.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 9:45 PM on May. 20, 2011

• At this point, I honestly feel the man needs a psych workup ... no one is as arrogant as he is without an underlying issue driving it.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 9:52 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I don't think it takes a psych workup to see that this man is a sociopath.
    -Eilish-

Comment by -Eilish- (original poster) at 9:56 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Well between this and his "thinning the troops" Pretty soon he will have us where he wants use. defenseless. All our fighting men and women overseas shooting at "bad guys" and no one left at home. I am really beginning to question where this horse is going.
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 10:21 PM on May. 20, 2011

• He is not just a sociopath...I think he is a narcissistic sociopath.
    annabarred

Answer by annabarred at 10:25 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Limited role...this was said with a straight face? We have not limited role as we ARE NATO. Good Lord he is really an idiot. I am almost ashamed to have him sitting in the big chair. Can we impeach him now?
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:16 AM on May. 21, 2011