Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you change a order for child custody?

So we have been to court 3 times for my step son because his mom is sure he should get to live with her. This last time we went we were ordered to meet her half way and in the papers it does state a certain location. Since then we have both moved and now we are meeting half way. Now she is throwing a fit because she didn't get to get him this weekend because we didn't have the gas (we did tell her she could come all the way to get him she just had to bring him all the way home) and she is saying we have to start meeting her where the papers say. Its an extra hour for her and 1.5 hours for us. Do we have to go through our lawyer again or is there a way we can get that changed without having to pay a butt load of money we don't have???

Answer Question

Asked by aheuszel at 9:47 PM on May. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

Level 17 (3,855 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • You were oin contempt because you didn't take the child to her. You can go to the court and see if they can set a court date to have it changed the child's mother has to agree to it. Who is the primary parent?

    Answer by matthewscandi at 9:55 PM on May. 20, 2011

  • My husband, we were told by a police officer in our city that as long as we offer her to come and get him and bring him home we wouldn't be in contempt. We have done it maybe 3 times in the past 5 years.

    Comment by aheuszel (original poster) at 9:57 PM on May. 20, 2011

  • I'm afraid the only way to get it officially changed is through the court if Mom is unwilling to change it willingly.

    Answer by hopeandglory53 at 10:25 PM on May. 20, 2011

  • How do we do that without spending the $1500 for our lawyer. We are going through the attorney general for back child support and non payment but they don't do paper modifications.

    Comment by aheuszel (original poster) at 10:36 PM on May. 20, 2011

  • You can do the motion pro per, meaning you don't need a lawyer. Go to the court house and ask for a motion for change of custody.

    Answer by GothicChk52 at 9:19 AM on May. 21, 2011

  • She ended up realizing how far behind on Child support she was and now she doesn't want us to go to court. We are going to modify our papers and my husband and her are going to sign them and both of us keep a copy. We are still going through the attorney generals office for back child support and non payment. Ughhhh I hate this part of being the step mom!!!!

    Comment by aheuszel (original poster) at 10:37 AM on May. 21, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.