At what age is it OK to take a child to a PG-13 movie?

My husband and I took my 8 yo son to see Pirates of the Carribean: On Stranger Tides tonight. He has seen the other three on DVD. He doesn't have nightmares or anything from seeing these movies, and he loves pirates. I wanted him to be able to see one from the series in the theatre, since he was only one when the first movie came out!

Yes, you guessed it, he saw the first one when he was 4 yo. My husband is a bad parent. But do you think 8 is too young for PG-13?

dwmom2008

Asked by dwmom2008 at 9:51 PM on May. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• I work at a theater and see this all the time. Even I can tell if a child is ready to see a PG-13 movie. Some as young as 4 are excited to go in and are smiling at me when they buy their tickets and some are tentative and look as tho they would be anywhere else then at this movie. If you think your LO is mature enough for Pirates then he is.

You also have to take into consideration the reason a film is rated PG-13. Some get it for language, some for thematic violence, and some for sexuality. It's up to the parent to decide which would be the reason to stop your child from watching. At our theater, we only have strict policies with children's ages regarding r-rated films, so we can't stop someone from bringing even a baby to a PG-13.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 11:41 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I was going to be a smartass and say 13 but I just can't do it to you dw, lol If he's mature enough to handle it, and you know best, then I feel it's alright. Sometimes the trailers for other movies are worst than the movie you go to see.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 9:55 PM on May. 20, 2011

• 13.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:04 PM on May. 20, 2011

• It depends on the movie. People overreact too much.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 9:53 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I was going to say "13" as well, LOL, but I agree with Kathy. 1. Depends on the movie, 2. depends on the child. I think a lot of ratings are wrong, and I take them with a grain of salt. If it is PG-13, I will tell the kids I would like to watch the movie beforehand, that way I know if it would be appropriate or not. If its labeled that way because of a lot of curse words...they are just words and my kids hear 'em every day anyway. (No, I don't allow them to use that language, though, simply because they do go to a Christian school, and they don't need to get into the habit of using those words.)
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 10:06 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Awe thanks, :)
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 10:16 PM on May. 20, 2011

• you rock

here's some love back at you Kathy675!!

dwmom2008

Comment by dwmom2008 (original poster) at 10:08 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I think it depends on the child and the movie. I see a few things on the kids channels that my kids aren't allowed to watch. The rating doesn't mean much to me at all. If you child enjoys it and there are no negative side effects then go for it.
    sweetangie79

Answer by sweetangie79 at 11:53 PM on May. 20, 2011