How long did it take your Breast Feed Baby to regain their birth weight?

My baby girl was born on Nov 16th via C section weighing 8.15. She is 3wks old today and as of Friday she still hasn't gained her birth weight back. She weighed in at 7.11. I am breast feeding and my doc wants me to supplement. I don't really want to do that but I do want my baby to be healthy!

I am really stressed about this.

heartlineMama

Asked by heartlineMama at 4:13 PM on Dec. 7, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Mine all lost weight too. I kept breasfeeding and just started pumping every chance I got to increase my milk supply. And then if my kids werent getting enough there was pumped milk I could give them as well. Id say it took about 3-4 weeks for them to lose and regain their weight.

Answer by gemgem at 4:15 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• are you feeding on demand? If i were you feed her every chance you get, that will ensure your supply and help with her weight.. It does get very tiring, but it is what is best and will help! GL
    mamaof2748

Answer by mamaof2748 at 4:26 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• My daughter was only 5lb 10oz at birth and only lost 2 oz from her birth weight. It only took her 4 days to regain it. Good luck.
    briezysmommy

Answer by briezysmommy at 4:29 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• mine gained it back within a week.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 4:43 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• You do not need to supplement - that will cause your milk supply to dwindle and eventually you will have to switch to formula.

Just keep feeding her on demand and she will get everything she needs - and take some time to visit a local La Leche League group for some support!

My breastfed DD returned to her birth weight by just over 4 weeks of age.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 5:00 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Oh and PS - she's now 14 months and still breastfeeding strong!
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 5:01 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• How do you breastfeed? Do you switch breasts at each feeding because perhaps you would do better doing one breast per feeding making sure baby is receiving more hindmilk.

Anonymous

• As a pediatrics/NICU/OB RN, I have to agree with your doctor. At 3 weeks of age and weighing only 7-11 that is a significant weight loss. She is down over a pound after 3 weeks, that really isn't okay!
    If you aren't keen on trying formula first try adding some pumping sessions in to increase your milk supply and feed what you have pumped.
    Giving a bottle will NOT ruin a breastfeeding relationship like so many mommys on here like to say -most of them never gave a bottle so they wouldn't know.
    Usually it's the flow of the bottle nipple that causes confussion, So get a bottle made for breastfeeding. We used the Breastflow bottles and they work well.
    You need to get more calories in her so that she can thrive. I gave my son a bottle when he wasn't growing well at first either, but I wasn't going to let him starve, I did what was best for him, not me. Our breastfeeding relationship is strong no problems!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:09 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I would tend to agree with the above on one thing, you need to get more calories into that baby. She should at least be close to her birthweight by now. Pump one breast while feeding her on the other, then switch, and pump the one you just fed on while feeding her on the one you just pumped. This should double your demand and increase your supply. IF it doesn't, try herbal supplements such as fenugreek and blessed thistle. To supplement calorie wise, get in touch with a La Leche League leader and consider using an SNS (supplemental nursing system). The SNS can help you supplement her with formula while increasing breast stimulation.
    Anonymous

• (continued)
    I disagree completely with the above about the bottle though, I did give a bottle, and it did ruin one breastfeeding relationship, completely sabotaged it. Nipple confusion is a real thing, and you should avoid bottle feeding at all costs. An SNS will help you do that. Please get your help from someone who has actually studied breastfeeding science. NICU and OB nurses are wonderful people, but most have not studied breastfeeding science beyond a paragraph or two during nursing school.
    Anonymous