I dont understand this about circumcision..

Something that confuses me is when women say they had their child circumcised because they wanted the child to look like the dad.  I read a lot on here that many parents do this so the child will not ask why he's different from the father. What are the parents going to do when the child asks why a person he sees in public is different? What about if the child notices a person that is missing a leg? Isn't it easier to just say the truth. Everyone is different. I don't mean this to bash anyone I really curious about this and would like to understand a little more ..

Sweets27

Asked by Sweets27 at 10:23 PM on May. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think that moms use this reason to explain that they deferred to the father to make the decision. You don't hear many moms say, "I really wanted my sons penis to look like my husbands penis." Fathers may have the subconscious need to justify their own circumcision by doing it to their son(s). I think this is actually a pretty deep question that merits a well thought out response.
    nepenthe429

Answer by nepenthe429 at 10:46 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I honeslty had NO Idea this was even a discission until we were in the hospital and we were asked if we planned to have our child circumsized.. from my knowledge it was just always done... I had no idea it was cosmetic. We took parenting classed and lamoze classes before and not one mention. I just didn't know to even look in to it - I feel bad about that.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:25 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I didn't do it for any of those reasons, my husband and I decided to get our son circ'd because we believe in it's benefits plain and simple.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 10:28 PM on May. 20, 2011

• And how many parents show the kids dad's genitals anyway??
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 10:26 PM on May. 20, 2011

• ...oh, and he will look different to Dad too, simply because Dad is a mature man and he's a kid. *rolls eyes* None of my 3 baby boys had it done, even though Dad is.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 10:27 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I think a missing leg is much different than foreskin. I would hope people aren't letting their children stare a naked people.
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 10:27 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I didn't have my son circumcised but if I did, that would be the least of my reasons for doing it.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:34 PM on May. 20, 2011

• People say things to rationalize behavior. If I had a boy, I would have it done ... and it would break my heart. I might even use that reason to make myself feel better.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 10:39 PM on May. 20, 2011