Debunking the top arguments against the fair tax

Do you have arguments against the Fair Tax ?

Link text

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 10:23 PM on May. 20, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• a person who advocates for removing public safety nets loses me right there. A person who feels that likens the system that collects taxes as one that "confiscates" that person loses me there.
    The guy is a kook and hellbent on the destruction of our nation as it's now known
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 11:12 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I wish they would do that or preferably the flat tax, but either is better than the million pages of code we have now.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:11 AM on May. 21, 2011

• It all depends on how businesses get handled. I'm with Carpy though..our current method has to go.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:12 AM on May. 21, 2011

• The fair tax isn't fair. All sales taxes are regressive and cannot replace income taxes, even though VAT type taxes are a goldmine for governments . Beware the deaded VAT . We have it in Canada . If you want a fairer sales tax , go for a transaction tax which is much easier to administer and collect without the apalling amount of bureaucratic paperwork businesses get with VAT plus the problems with fraud . Income taxes do need to be radically simplified and stripped of political influence and lobbying for special interest groups .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 1:48 AM on May. 21, 2011

• . Beware the deaded VAT

That's what I fear with the VAT.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:19 AM on May. 21, 2011

• janet, this is probably the only time I will agree with you! I used to import Polish Potter before and after the VAT. There was a dramatic increase in the cost. I can only imagine the nightmare for the pottery factories. I am not for a VAT.

I can't imagine why anyone besides a downvoting troll would vote down my previous answer. If the way businesses are taxed isn't done the right way there will be huge increases in the cost to the CUSTOMER.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 4:35 PM on May. 21, 2011

• oops...that should by potterY!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 4:39 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Canada, I'm guessing you didn't read it. You like some others just choose to believe it won't work even when the proof is in front of you. Just because you choose not to read the proof doesn't mean it isn't so.

The FairTax has as ½ of its plan a national retail sales tax. The other ½ of the plan is a rebate to EVERY American to completely cover ALL of those federal sales taxes for spending needed to maintain a poverty-level lifestyle.

The FairTax is MUCH more PROGRESSIVE than the U.S. Income Tax Code. It effectively DE-TAXES every American who has to (or chooses to) live at the poverty level.
    itsmesteph11

Comment by itsmesteph11 (original poster) at 8:01 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Nope - I'm all for tax reform.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:31 PM on May. 23, 2011