Christian Private School

Do you think it is ok for a family to send their child to a Christian school if the family is not Christian? Please elaborate.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:15 PM on Dec. 7, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• As for is it okay for a non-Christian to go to a christian private school... IF you are okay with your child being taught Christianity at school and you are willing to deal with the consequences I don't see a reason why not... You would need to weight what you feel is important. I don't want anyone teaching my children religion! And would be rather angry if they were. However if I put my child in to religion classes and then was angry because they were learning religion - I'd be crazy!! So what is important to YOU! What do you want your child being taught and what do you want them being exposed to?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:21 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Yes.
    They don't just teach religious values.
    My family was not religious AT ALL, but I went to a Catholic school until high school.
    It's smaller classes, more one on one, and most of the time, private schools are higher ranked for their success in education.
    I had to take a religion class, and I had to go to Wednesday morning mass with my class, but it was a learning experience in all.
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 4:17 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I dont know why they would? I attended private christian school growing up and there was only one family who did that and they were jewish. They did it because they didnt like the overcrowding and what not at the public schools. I dont see a problem with it myself but the kid who I was in school with got made fun of alot because his family wasnt christian. You know kids can be cruel.

Answer by gemgem at 4:17 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I went to one and I still do not know what my family is. so yes.
    madcat500

Answer by madcat500 at 5:32 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• If this family does that, they need to stay in touch with their child. After all, where do kids go when they get kicked out of public schools? Private schools! I graduated from a Christian school, and while there were definitely the Christian kids, there were also the "bad" ones. If the child starts to complain about something happening at the school, the parents need to take notice. JMO
    rhope4

Answer by rhope4 at 7:51 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I agree with rhope4.
    I didn't go to the catholic high school, I switched to public school but the catholic high school here has the third highest pregnancy and drug rate in northern IL.
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 9:25 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I certainly think its okay. Are you asking if non-Christians should be prohibited from attending? If they pay their tuition like everyone else, what is the issue? It may not be the parents first choice -- this is a hard spot for a lot of parents in the south. Honestly if you want a private school here most *are* religiously themed. They are trying to do whats best for their kids. As others have mentioned its much more likely to cause them strain then cause anyone else issues.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 11:29 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I went to Catholic school for 13 years (K-12, including 4 years at an all-girl high school of my choice) and I've never been Catholic. My dad is agnostic and my mom was not Catholic either. It was just a better educational choice here in the city (Chicago). Now I'm in the same situation and my children attend our local Catholic school despite the fact that both me and my husband are atheist.
    It's a hard choice to make and it's hard to balance what they learn in school and what we believe at home but my parents made it work and me and my brother turned out fine.
    But I think of Catholic schools as different from "Christian" schools. Most Christian schools I know of make sure you are actually a member of that denomination or you're not allowed to attend. I wouldn't send my kids to Christian school.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:33 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• PERSONALLY, I don't think it's okay for anyone to send there child to private school! Private schools shelter the students from the reality and the diversity of the outside world. I feel it's very important that children become acclimated with the "real" world as soon as possible! Other wise they are in for a HUGE shock upon graduation.

• Yes. It is perfectly fine as long as the parents are okay with their child learning about Christianity. Private schools are a good alternative. I do not think it is sheltering the kids, as long as they're involved with the community and such outside of school... I mean, playing with the neighborhood kids who go to the public school, etc...
    gypsysmiles

Answer by gypsysmiles at 2:13 AM on Dec. 9, 2008