McDonald's stockholders reject obesity proposal

Don't you just love it when things like this happen?

Shareholders of the world's largest fast-food chain resoundingly rejected a proposal that would have required it to issue a report outlining its role in the childhood obesity epidemic, saying customers were free to make their own dietary choices.
"Ronald McDonald is an ambassador to McDonald's and he is an ambassador for good. Ronald McDonald is going nowhere," Skinner said firmly, prompting more cheers from shareholders.

Link text

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 10:29 PM on May. 20, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I wholeheartedly agree. Its not McDonald's fault that *you* go eat there every day and feed your kids that every day.

I do like to indulge once in a while a fast food restaurant. Its a treat for the kids. And none of my kids are even remotely close to being considered "obese." In fact, I get weird looks because my oldest is underweight (even though she eats more than I do!).
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 10:32 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I read that today. Also Ronald McDonald represents the Ronald McDonald House, not just fast food! People are responsible for their food choices not a clown for Christs sake. We have a subway next to a McDonalds, I choose Subway because of the healthy options, my choice.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 10:36 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I'm glad they stood up to that.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 10:42 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Good. People need to be responsible for their own choices. I bet they wouldn't be complaining about McDonald's and Ronald McDonald if they had to stay in a Ronald McDonald house.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:48 PM on May. 20, 2011

• What is next? Do we start placing the blame on cartoon network and nintendo for childhood obesity too? When do you stand up and admit you are the parent and you pay for what your kids eat? If you want to say your kids eating fast food got them fat than say you paying for it and giving in every time they pitched a fit caused them to be fat. Don't get me wrong my kids get happy meals once in a while but I also make them eat other things and it is not an every week kind of thing. You have every right to make choices for your family, but you need to own those choices and the after effects.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 10:54 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I completely agree. It's not McDonald's fault that parents keep buying their kids happy meals every day. My kids eat McDonald's and its like a prize and the toy in the box is an added bonus.
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 10:58 PM on May. 20, 2011

• everyone makes the choice what they eat, and WHAT THEY FEED THEIR KIDS, if you need to eat somethig fast try to make something and freeze it to microwave it, it will only take a few!! i agree with this as well
    Caiden.N.Me

Answer by Caiden.N.Me at 11:01 PM on May. 20, 2011

• This was on the news the other day. We eat at McDonalds once every month or two. When Ronald came on TV my son (3 1/2) asked who it was. It is totally on the parents to take responsibility for what food they are pumping into their children's and their own bodies. Thank God for the Ronald McDonald house. It does so much good for so many families who are truly in need.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 11:42 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Isn't this interesting?  http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2007/12/obama-stoop-so.html

Obama: "Stoop So Low as McDonalds"

December 14, 2007

...Obama recalled a conversation he had with another senator who was giving him grief about working for the meal ban.  The other Senator questioned to Obama, “What do you expect me to just start eating at McDonalds all the time?”

Obama recalled his response, “You get paid $160,000 a year, you can even afford Applebee's, you don’t even have to stoop so low as to eat at McDonalds.”

Some in the crowd were seen raising their eyebrows as Obama, the man who touts himself from the South Side of Chicago, critiqued the popular fast food chain.

agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 11:54 PM on May. 20, 2011

• – collapse
    Yes find an opportunity to bring Obama into it to bitch about him , Wanda .

I never go to McDonalds as the food is terrible .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 1:38 AM on May. 21, 2011 (hidden) + expand