What can i do to increase milk supply?

I havent been breast feeding my baby, due to a medication i took so ive been pumping and dumping...ive noticed though that im really low on milk, i know i havent been pumping as often as i should, but now im scared its a lost cause....is it possible to increase my supply now? if so how.....should i take supplements?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:53 PM on May. 20, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• there is an herb called "fenugreek" that from what Ive heard, works wonders! It makes you smelly, but it really supposed to increase you milk supply!
    KiraStadnik

Answer by KiraStadnik at 10:56 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Are you absolutely sure you can't breastfeed while taking the medication? I had some medication prescribed to me but I did some research and it was safe to breastfeed. If you can't I would pump more often I don't know about supplements.
    Sweets27

Answer by Sweets27 at 10:57 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I would pump more often!!
    MommyYeoman

Answer by MommyYeoman at 10:58 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Nursing tea can help. But the best way to increase your supply is to nurse as often as possible and pump afterwards if there is anything left. Empty breasts make milk faster than full breasts. You should be trying to move your milk via pumping or nursing whenever you can fit in a session. If you notice that it's been a while and baby doesn't want to nurse, then pump. Bank your milk in the freezer for future use. Go see a lactation consultant before you get to a stage where the problem is too difficult to handle without help.
    nepenthe429

Answer by nepenthe429 at 10:59 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Ive been taking Hydrocodone, i dont feel safe breastfeeding him with that in my system
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:01 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Drink a glass of almond milk every day. And obviously keep pumping.
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 11:07 PM on May. 20, 2011

• you should increase the amount of times you pump. Talk to your Dr before taking any supplements, they may interact with your medication.
    Proverbs_31

Answer by Proverbs_31 at 11:20 PM on May. 20, 2011

• fenugreek or fennel capsules or eating oats. The best thing you can do to increase supply is nurse nurse nurse. Baby can get more milk out more efficiently than any pump out there. As soon as you can nurse again nurse nurse nurse nurse nurse. If needed get a medela SNS to give supplements directly at the breast so that the baby can stimulate milk priduction while recieving the supplement at the same time.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 12:00 AM on May. 21, 2011

• You CAN nurse with hydrocodone; it's far more dangerous to YOU than to baby (due to addiction risk) and the air baby is breathing in our industrialized world has more hazards than your milk on the med.

Go put baby to breast. REALLY.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:29 AM on May. 21, 2011

• Giving baby formula has more risks than you breastfeeding with hydrocodone. Start breastfeeding again and encourage baby to nurse as much as possible. Spend a day or two in bed together doing nothing but nursing.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:55 PM on May. 21, 2011