Why do doctors say that my son is obease? he's 40 1/4 inches tall and 49lbs?

his father is big and im not too little myself. does anyone think hes fat? i hear it alot, or OMG HES SOOO HUGE!! it kills me, yes i dont eat healthy every day every meal, but we eat things together as a family and i care what it is, and there always vegis and fruit served with dinner and breakfast

Caiden.N.Me

Asked by Caiden.N.Me at 10:57 PM on May. 20, 2011 in Kids' Health

• how old is he?
    KiraStadnik

Answer by KiraStadnik at 10:58 PM on May. 20, 2011

• honestly, I dont know what they weight ranges are...But i dont really care. If your baby happy!? If he fed!? thats all that matters. Dont let ppl saying stupid things like that get to you. Its not worth it. As long as your baby is happy, tell them exactly that. HE"S HAPPY!
    brookenbrodyn

Answer by brookenbrodyn at 11:00 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Girl...my kids are "underweight" and I get as much grief for that as you do for having an "obese" child. Children grow differently...that is all there is to it. Focus on health...make sure he is getting enough nutritious food and is active enough...then ignore the charts and doctors.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:02 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Because he's only 2 years old and the average 2 year old weighs 30 lbs. At that age....20 lbs over weight at that age is very dangerous.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:05 PM on May. 20, 2011

• What a 50 lb 2 year old? I am not a doctor but that is way to much for a 2 year old to weigh. wow.
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 11:07 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I would try to cut back on any junk food.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 11:07 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Um, I wouldn't be downplaying this... Depending on his age, he could be OFF the charts... Best case scenario, he's 95th percentile... He IS obese. This can lead to diabetes, cholesterol problems, breathing problems, joint problems... I know you want your child to be happy, but you also want him to be healthy. You need to act NOW. Take control of this while he's young. Get him on a road to good health!
    CeeCee333

Answer by CeeCee333 at 11:07 PM on May. 20, 2011

• according to a BMI chart he is fine. Find another doctor.
    Normal weight = 18.5–24.9 his is 21.0
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 11:08 PM on May. 20, 2011

• His age does not matter if he is tall. I hate hate hate those charts!!!
    My oldest DD eats more than I do while my younger DD barely eats. I am always looked at funny cause my oldest is "underweight" and my youngest is "fat". Like I said, find a different doctor.
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 11:10 PM on May. 20, 2011

• http://apps.nccd.cdc.gov/dnpabmi/
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 11:12 PM on May. 20, 2011