How much personal information is actually too much? Car Accident

Last night there was a tragic accident and a young mother lost her life in my area. Of course the name was withheld pending the family's notification. However, within hours the name was released on Facebook to friends and on the news website. Once her name was released, I immediately Googled her name and her Facebook page popped up. So, I read it. It was very sad, with a very strange post made several hours before her death. Her profile was public, not set to private or anything. Also there was a post about her on another website, which I read as well. The person who actually made the 911 call is on this website talking about the accident. Is this right? I mean, I know it's all public information, but isn't that going a little too far? Talking about the call and what she heard, etc?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:03 PM on May. 20, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Unfortunately in this day and age, too many people want desperately to belong to or cling to something they consider important or newsworthy--be it a celebrity, a reality show, or someone's death..."I was there when....." syndrome.

As for this case, I am a former Boston paramedic, and trust me when I say, those involved in taking care of the victims, are NOT the people who care to discuss the details with anyone who will listen, because it's not a "fun" conversation to have. It's usually the people who are the LEAST involved that "publicize" such events.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:45 AM on May. 21, 2011

• Some people are so wrapped up in their own world they don't think of the consequences of what they say or, in this case, type. I'm sure witnessing that was hard for whoever that person. However, what if her parents or siblings or other family members didn't know? They log on Facebook or wherever and find out their loved one is dead. It's legal but no it's not right.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 6:00 AM on May. 21, 2011

• I think it is to far. But people are inconsiderate! Why do you say there was a very strange post made before her death?
    KiraStadnik

Answer by KiraStadnik at 11:05 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Freedom of speech also people have the choice to set they're pages and profiles to private.
    Anonymous

• I always say be careful what you wish for. You nor anyone else (myself included) know when our time here is up. I have often said I just wish it would end meaning the day or the drama that's probably what the lady that died meant. I do agree that the other person posting about the 911 call is out of line though. Prayers to the family.
    smurfyangel

Answer by smurfyangel at 11:17 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Uh, I deleted that post because I felt it wouldn't be right. She just said something about wishing it would end, meaning the day.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:13 PM on May. 20, 2011

• LoriKeet you are so right. I am a former paramedic from around the Chicago area. I never talk about what I saw. Anyway, the family are now posting in the comments under the article. The person who made the 911 call is posting in a topic on another forum. I think her talking about the 911 call SHE made is totally wrong. Also, sometimes, I think that people go out of their way to want too much attention in stuff like that. Great answer!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:17 AM on May. 21, 2011