My son is 4 and he keeps being mean to our puppy. Tried time out Wont spank

any other ideas to get it through to him ?. we must be nice to our animals they are our family

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:44 PM on May. 20, 2011 in Pets

• how many times have you tried time out? You have to keep at it every time!! For as long as it takes.  Also try taking away things like TV, favorite toys, etc for a set period of time. Make him earn it back by being nice.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:57 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Why won't you spank? Sometimes that's the only way to get through to a child. Each child, however, is different. It works on some, but not on others. You have to find what method of punishment he understands. Take his toys, free time, whatever he enjoys for a period. I realize he is small, but give him extra chores. You have to get him well-grounded now so he won't be uncontrollable later. Good luck.

PS-I think time out is a waste of time.
    mrsjon

Answer by mrsjon at 12:12 AM on May. 21, 2011

• not sure how to fix this one...kids are mean to animals. It's the way it is unfortunately...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:15 AM on May. 21, 2011

• I agree try taking away favorite toys etc and keep with the time out
    smurfyangel

Answer by smurfyangel at 1:55 AM on May. 21, 2011

• not sure how to fix this one...kids are mean to animals. It's the way it is unfortunately..

Really? Now you have scientific proof of this? Because I was a kid I was never mean to an animal, not once. My parents taught me early on to be nice to them, that they're a family member as well. You can't lump all kids.
    Uhura

Answer by Uhura at 2:03 AM on May. 21, 2011

*************

Wow ok...almost every little kid I have ever seen around an animal who gets much of an opportunity to chase, pull the tail, hit or whatever else DOES it at some point. I think it's just that they don't really get that they are hurting or can hurt them - I did not say EVERY SINGLE KID who has ever existed...but based on what I have personally seen in life- I'd say almost all of them do. And it sounds like hers is one of them!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:35 AM on May. 21, 2011

• Ask him why he does that? Ask him if he wants u to treat him mean? Tell him nobody likes a bully! Early bedtime,no toys or t.v. for a week! Everytime he does this!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 9:52 AM on May. 21, 2011

• Charlotsometimes, Then these kids have not been properly taught how to treat animals. That behavior is completely avoidable when you teach your kid to be gentle early on. And if you don't teach your kids how to behave with animals, you're begging for your kid to get bit. It's a safety lesson as well as a lesson in respect. I personally have only seen one kid do this ever and that was to my dog when I was picking up my sister at the elementary school and I told him in a very serious tone"How would like it if I hit you or yanked on your hair? Dogs are living things and they feel pain just like you do. Touch my dog again and you'll be getting dragged back in that school because I'll be having a talk with your parents." He never touched my dog again and the parents who brought their dogs with them when they picked their kids up thanked me because he didn't bother their dogs after that either.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 1:10 PM on May. 21, 2011

• OP, I'm not saying to be that harsh with your son. I was just outraged that some kid would come up and abuse someone else's dog. But I would explain to DS that it hurts the dog just like it would hurt him, that the dog is a member of the family just like a brother or sister would be and that if he continues to do this than he will find himself in his room while the dog gets to play with mommy daddy each time he does. You have to break this habit now or one day he WILL get bit and I would hate to see another dog in a shelter for defending itself.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 1:14 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Model how to pat the dog nicely- I think that some kids are mean to animals because they don't know how to touch them nicely. Model it a LOT! Also stress that the dog is alive and is delicate and can get hurt. It's not a toy, it's a living thing. And supervise, supervise, even if it means you have to gate them apart in separate rooms when you're not there. It's not safe for either the dog or your child to be unsupervised at all at this point.
    I don't think that all children necessarily treat animals badly... personally we've never run into that, and we've always had small animals that are easily hurt. My 4 year old has been handling our guinea pigs very gently since she was two (with supervision, of course!) But I do think it's not automatic, being gentle and respecting animals has to be taught.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 3:14 PM on May. 22, 2011