Would your family leave you if you stopped believing in what they believe?

I noticed in some religions & families if one person decides to leave that faith & choose their own faith or no faith at all there family stops talking to them.. I personally think thats horrible because it so that there are people who believe simply out of fear of losing their loved ones not because they want to believe.. my 12 yr old has told me since 5 she loves Jesus & believes he is God & I was shocked when a few days ago she said she is muslim ( like her dad) there have been a handful of times she told her muslim family about the christian faith they replied by telling her she was Muslim because her dad was muslim & they would have nothing to do with her if she were christian.. now I love her & will never turn on her but I believe this is wrong because that love with conditions & its not true faith unless you believe it because you want to not out of fear your family will have nothing to do with you.. so if ALL of your family said to you we will pretend your dead if you don't choose our faith what do you think you would do?

maiahlynn

Asked by maiahlynn at 11:55 PM on May. 20, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am a Christian, so I don't understand being shunned. My family, even if I decided to turn away, would just pray for me. Since your daughter is so young, she is still impressionable. Talk with her about the differences in Islam and Christianity. Show her that Jesus came to forgive and not condemn. Pull Scripture siting Him as the only way. Also, teach her about Abraham, Ishmael, and Isaac. Explain to her that Ishmael is how Islam got started. As far as her being Muslim just because her father is, I don't think there's anything to that. I'm not a Christian simply because my parents are. I'm a Christian because I accepted Jesus Christ as my Savior. Good luck!!
    mrsjon

Answer by mrsjon at 11:59 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. I'm pagan and have known I was pagan for 20 years now. My dad and I have always been the black sheep of the family anyway, but as soon as it was widely known that I was NOT christian the welcome to family gatherings got a lot chillier and finally I was told not to come at all.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:04 AM on May. 21, 2011

• I come from a family of Catholics who dumped me when I started going to a nondenominational church. I would never do that to my kid.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 12:05 AM on May. 21, 2011

• Yes, mine did. 15yrs ago. I was raised Atheist and started attending a Methodist Church and now they're gone. They said I was a snob and didn't want anything else to do with me. I've lost 3 brothers, 1 sister and both parents over my decision. No regrets though.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 12:05 AM on May. 21, 2011

• I told my mom I wanted to be wicca when I was 13. She hugged my and laughed. "At least your not a satanist" she said, and left it at that.

BTW that opened the door for my Aunt D to come out with her break of faith. I have never received any criticism for my "revolving door" faiths.
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 12:05 AM on May. 21, 2011

• funny I had told my daughter satanist was the only religion that i would just be sick if my child(ren) became it.. yes i do plan on teaching her the differences between Christianity & Muslim .. I have always told her she can't rid of me even if she tries I am here to stay even if we disagree on some issues.
    maiahlynn

Comment by maiahlynn (original poster) at 12:27 AM on May. 21, 2011

• I paid lip service for the first 15 years of my life, then simply kept my mouth shut for another 5 as I slowly weeded toxic people out of my life- by the time I "came out" most of those toxic people who would absolutely condemn me were already gone- the ones I hadn't counted on, I've let slip through the cracks.
    Unfortunately, it's common practice for highly religious families to disown their young who 'stray'.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:33 AM on May. 21, 2011

• Honey, not being rude or anything, but in all honesty, No.  I have everything from Muslims to Catholics in my family.     Unless someone ran off and isolated themselves from our family, I'd have to say we're all good here.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on May. 21, 2011

• My family didnt leave but they stopped talking to me as much and are severly disappointed in me(and talk behind my back).

It happens far more than people want to believe, especially if you leave Christianity.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:23 AM on May. 21, 2011

• Nope. My family isn't like that.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 1:54 AM on May. 21, 2011