My daughter has a speech problem.

My dilemma is do I pay for her to get speech therapy this summer or wait until she starts kindergarten to get it free at school. i just know that sometimes a speech problem is associated with a learning disability, and there isnt anything wrong with her learning capability. She just turned 5 in January and will start kindergarten in August.

alboston

Asked by alboston at 12:14 AM on May. 21, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My brother had a speech problem, too. We just waited for him to start school (didn't have money for a therapist then). He speaks fine now. Just make sure that her school has a good speech program.
    mrsjon

Answer by mrsjon at 12:17 AM on May. 21, 2011

• What's her problem? My daughter used to put an R sound in place of her L's, so her name, Rebecca, would be Lebecca, etc. Her teacher referred her to an occupational therapist in her first year of school and it was corrected in one visit! She's now 16 and doing great in high school. Pretty much a B student, doing all the highly academic subjects.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 12:17 AM on May. 21, 2011

• We thought my son had a speech problem but every time I inquired, the doctor said to wait (that he would grow out of it). It was a cute lisp. The doctor was right, he grew out of it by age 7. If there has been a diagnosis, your doctor can advise your whether to wait or not. Has there been a diagnosis or do you think she has a problem because you hear a problem?
    RobotLady

Answer by RobotLady at 12:21 AM on May. 21, 2011

• My daughter had a speech problem to the point where people couldn't understand her and I waited until school started. Nobody thought she was disabled.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 12:25 AM on May. 21, 2011

• She has been diagnosed. But speech therapy was 90 dollars a week. More than we could afford at the time since we were paying for daycare at the same time.
    alboston

Comment by alboston (original poster) at 12:27 AM on May. 21, 2011

• She did her speech at her daycare graduation and no one understood what she said. My husband looked at me with that "why didnt you help her with her speech" face and I was like she said her speech verbatim she just cant talk :(
    alboston

Comment by alboston (original poster) at 12:29 AM on May. 21, 2011

• Your public school system should have something for you to help her with her speech NOW. If you are that concerned, I would see if your doctor knows who to contact at the school, or contact your local school yourself to see who you need to talk to.

When I talked to my daughter about her speech problems, he referred me to the school, gave me all the information, etc. I got an appointment for her to be seen, etc. She also went through headstart this past year, and she's doing so much better!
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 12:38 AM on May. 21, 2011

• The school is not accepting kids who arent current students right now because of overcrowding in the their speech therapy program.
    alboston

Comment by alboston (original poster) at 12:47 AM on May. 21, 2011