What is with children's parties?

I don't get it. I just don't. For four months before my DD's 1st B-day I received a catalog in the mail to set up a themed party for her. To get it all would have cost about $500. Excuse me? WTH? And on here I've seen people getting mad that Aunts/uncles/2nd cousins don't show an interest in coming to a toddler's party-esp when they live hours away & have no kids themselves.
What is going on?

elizabooks

Asked by elizabooks at 12:28 AM on May. 21, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• People are crazy. The focus should be more on family and friends celebrating and spending time together than how much money we can blow on decorations and balloons. I undestand that parents want their childs day to be special, but I would rather teach them the importance and value of people rather than things. My kids have parties, get gifts just like everyone else, I just won't allow it to get out of hand.
    IamErin-K.

Answer by IamErin-K. at 12:34 AM on May. 21, 2011

• I also think its ridiculous. We get our daughters 5 gifts a piece and take them to incredible pizza, chucky cheese, etc.
    alboston

Answer by alboston at 12:31 AM on May. 21, 2011

• I would have spent about four to five hundred for each of my daughter's first five birthday parties. Butt hat was because we always invited her whole class. Now my sisters who have no children insisted on helping out, they spoil my daughter. My one sister works in a deli, so we got the meat and cheese trays for free. Then My younger sister bakes so we had plenty of goodies. So really I just bought the party favors.
    I prefer small family get togethers myself, but my parents and siblings always made more out of it than I had planned. Their only grandchild/niece.
    SeasideNative

Answer by SeasideNative at 12:34 AM on May. 21, 2011

• We do cake, ice cream and food as standard...we have gotten really fancy and had one at the bowling alley...but I promise it was $40. Not $500!!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:40 AM on May. 21, 2011

• People are silly.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 12:55 AM on May. 21, 2011

• My son is two. He won't remember his party. He's getting balloons and streamers. lol. The only thing themed is the cake which will be custom made, but that's because I can custom make it! It's amazing what ppl will pay for a paper plate because it has Mickey's face on it. IMO the only young b-day you go all out on is the first one and that's because it's more for the parents.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 1:23 AM on May. 21, 2011

• i try not to spend more than $150 but that includes all gifts food drinks and decorations. (we have a big family so we always spend the most on food lol)
    tomsjennabean

Answer by tomsjennabean at 12:36 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I don't understand throwing a toddler a birthday party...they won't remember it so just do something as a family...for my son's first b-day we took him to the zoo for the first time (he won't remember but his dad and I have plenty of great memories). I find it just silly to go all out like that. If you are going to have a big to-do just make your own decorations and what-not...but that is just me and my opinion...
    MommyYeoman

Answer by MommyYeoman at 12:39 PM on May. 21, 2011

• i am not into big parties especially when they are little little. so her 1st birthday i went back and forth with it so we ended up with pizza and cake in my grandma' apartment. it was fantastic. then again i wanted pizza and cake for her second birthday. it was a little more themed because she watched this one show on nick jr and i really wanted one of those fancy cakes so instead of paying alot of food we went out for the cake. i totally agree. i think when they get older they are going to want this and that that when they are young the memories are the most importnat thing for the adults. but with alot of people its like a competition.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 4:44 AM on May. 22, 2011

• I was just curious as it seems to be such a big thing to everyone I know. Mu SIL even gives a small cake just for the birthday child. I personally think she goes over the top with everything.
    My DD's 1st fell on my grandmother's 95th. So we went there and my DD had a cupcake with her initials on it. Her second bday was her two cousins joining us to go the petting zoo and then watermelon with a gift exchange afterward. She had fun a t both. This year I was thinking a cupcake and a day at the national zoo. Maybe a balloon? We grew up with joined birthdays/ All the boys had one b-day in june (even though they were born on different days)
    elizabooks

Comment by elizabooks (original poster) at 7:25 AM on May. 22, 2011