Do you have an Amish settlement near your home?

Are they horse and buggy or car?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:05 AM on May. 21, 2011 in Travel

• don't have the amish here however i grew up near them... we have hutterites and meninites... and they would both freak if the knew i misspelled them both however they don't get online... lol hutt's up here use a bus once a week to go to town... only cuz it's hours away... the the nites' here walk but the ones i visited back in MO had cars... i only knew of amish using horse and buggy at least in MO and PA that's what they did
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 1:07 AM on May. 21, 2011

• I live in SE PA, where we have both Amish and Mennonites. The Mennonites drive cars, the Amish use horses & buggies. They are both "Pennsylvania Dutch," but they are not the same.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:01 AM on May. 21, 2011

• In Missouri the Amish still use horse and buggy. The Mennonites drive cars.
    proudmom2510

Answer by proudmom2510 at 1:11 AM on May. 21, 2011

• we have a large mennonite communitiy one town over from me and they drive cars and shop in the local stores....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:05 AM on May. 21, 2011

• No. The closest would be in central Illinois, I think. We have Mennonites though.

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:11 AM on May. 21, 2011

• No
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 1:15 AM on May. 21, 2011

• When I lived in Michigan we lived near Amish and Mennonite communities.
    BetcCarter

Answer by BetcCarter at 9:23 AM on May. 21, 2011

• Amish, no, Hutterites, yes. They have cars for major things.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on May. 21, 2011

• I think there is one in PA.
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 11:18 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I have Mennonite neighbors to the left of us and several Mennonite families in our area that are still left here since the church had a big split about 6 years ago. I love my Mennonite friends. They are special women and have taught me quite a bit about simplicity and love of family.
    I like to visit our Amish settlement in Lawrenceburg, TN. They are Old Order, so they still use horse and buggy and speak the German dialect as well as some English. Very kind, gentle, hard -working people. I plan to make another visit this summer. : )
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:29 PM on May. 24, 2011