Weeping willows

I was thinking about getting a weeping willow and was just wondering how long they usually took to grow?

charmd18

Asked by charmd18 at 2:52 AM on May. 21, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I don't know how long it takes to grow, but I know they send roots out like crazy! We had one in the far corner of our yard, and it was a nightmare! The roots covered the whole yard, messed up our drainage system, And every one of a million little leaves falls off in the fall. They are beautiful to look at but a real pain in the ass!
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 2:56 AM on May. 21, 2011

• Weeping willows need a LOT of water. so they will seek it if they don't get enough. That's why they grow on river banks. They grow like weeds though with proper watering.
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 3:15 AM on May. 21, 2011

• WOW I never knew you could plant them like that....when I think of willow trees I think of the south where they are everywhere. And yeah they do have wild and crazy roots that you can sit on (really old trees).
    Jazmineamomma

Answer by Jazmineamomma at 3:36 AM on May. 21, 2011

• I love them but I only remember having one in our yard as a kid so I know nothing about taking care of them.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 6:09 AM on May. 21, 2011

• If you are near a creek, river, pond, or lake - it will do well. Willow trees grow best on the banks of a water source. And yes, they have prolific roots - like silver maples or cypress trees.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:22 AM on May. 21, 2011

• Just a word of caution- they can easily destroy the foundation of your house, your water pipes, septic system if you have one, your well, etc. They will seek out water unless you put it near a pond/river/stream etc. My grandmother had one in Texas and it destroyed their house looking for water(what a mental pic, huh? lol).
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:27 AM on May. 21, 2011

• Wow may have to wait for awhile to get one lol...
    charmd18

Comment by charmd18 (original poster) at 12:20 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Yeah... lovely but... a lot of downs...
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 3:19 PM on May. 21, 2011