Is it okay to skip baby cereal when putting baby on solids?

My 6 month old daughter hates baby cereal and absolutely refuses to eat it. I've tried numerous times to give it to her, with water and with formula, but she still won't eat it.

BrandiGirl1988

Asked by BrandiGirl1988 at 3:44 AM on May. 21, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's more than ok. Veggies and fruits are way more nutritional anyways.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:05 AM on May. 21, 2011

• Skip it if she doesn't like it. Grab some 1 jars of baby food and try that instead. Could also try mixing a little of the food in with the cereal for taste. (yes, they can taste) She may just not be ready for solids, don't rush her if she isn't.
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 4:06 AM on May. 21, 2011

• The only reasons they say to start withcereal is because it's seriously bland and babies are more accepting of it(sometimes) and cereal tends to be less allergenic. My kidshated it and I did too because it was seriously cnstipating for them. It has a lot of added iron which causes constipation. Especially if baby is on formula which also has added iron.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:23 AM on May. 21, 2011

• cream of wheat and cream of rice are fine for baby
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 4:38 AM on May. 21, 2011

• I've been very patient with her, and the reason why I ask this is because I don't want my mother in law giving her food that's not meant for babies if the baby is refusing the baby cereal. I've already caught her giving my baby cream of wheat.
    BrandiGirl1988

Comment by BrandiGirl1988 (original poster) at 4:16 AM on May. 21, 2011

• At 6 months old she can have several fruits and veggies pureed.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:20 AM on May. 21, 2011

• I think that giving rice cereal gives your chid the nutrients he/she needs, along with the other soiids you are feeding your child.
    lovecooking

Answer by lovecooking at 4:20 AM on May. 21, 2011

• i skipped baby cereal completely. dd's first solid meal was a mashed up avacado.
    cream of wheat is okay for baby, as long as it's not flavored.
    and PUT YOUR MIL IN HER PLACE!!! wtf is wrong with her, sneaking around, feeding your baby?? ugh, my dad fed my baby some wedding cake when she was like seven months old. seriously?!
    AngryBob

Answer by AngryBob at 5:00 AM on May. 21, 2011

• Skipping cereal is fine. Neither of my kids had it. Even skipping baby food completely is fine. My daughter went straight to table foods at 7.5 months. Easiest thing ever, much more so than spoon-feeding baby foods, whether store boguht or homemade. Google "baby led solids".
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 7:10 AM on May. 21, 2011

• skipping cereal is fine.
    avocado is a great first food.
    i always start my kids with veggies.

grandparents sneaking foods here and there will not hurt your baby.
    try not to start a fight with your baby's grandma, over something harmless. those spats can get out of hand pretty quickly.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:32 AM on May. 21, 2011