Would you say something?

I'm a sahm who does in home daycare. I watch a 14 month old baby girl, a 6.5 year old girl in the summer when school is out, and my own 6.5 year old ds and 3 year old dd. My dh works 60+ hours a week and spends 12+ hours a week commuting to work. I am responsible for all things to do with the household for the most part. My dd is 3/4 completely potty-trained. She just turned 3 an she knows what to do, she just takes hours at a time because she is fearful of pee and poop leaving her body. Anyways, I have a stressful life. I value my family time. The mother and father of the 14 month old are ALWAYS an hour or more late dropping her off. ALWAYS 45 min-hour and a half late picking her up and the way they ask me if I can watch their baby is they text me 12 hours before (basically the night before) and ask if I can watch her. I charge just a flat fee for the day and a lesser charge if it's a half day. They wanted the other day just a half day and waited until 9 hours before drop-off to ask me if they could drop her off 2 hours earlier the next morning. I said ok but it will be the regular rate then for the full day. They said ok and then were an hour late the next morning dropping off and an hour late picking up. I couldn't even shower until they picked her up. Not to mention I had to calm dd's fears of pottying that day. What should I say? They're getting worse and it's routine for them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:50 AM on May. 21, 2011 in Money & Work

• I would say something. Daycare providers which aren't run from a house have late fees. I've worked at a few. One they had for every minute you are late it's a dollar per child. The other one we closed at 6pm. From 6:01 to 6:15 it was 10 bucks period per kid..
    6:16-6:30 was 20 bucks per kid. They are taking advantage of your kindness. You do have a life of your own & the reason you have hours set is so you can do what is needed before & after your work hours. If they don't like it then they can find another place:)
    Amysan2

Answer by Amysan2 at 5:04 AM on May. 21, 2011

• I would absolutely say something. People will treat you the way you let them treat you. Print out a fee scale and give it to them when they drop the kids off and set a date to start implementing the new fees. They will surely have questions and you can tell them that their habitual tardiness is cutting into your precious family time & you deserve to be compensated for that. OOne day care center I know of charges $5 for each MINUTE you are late picking up your child! that's $300 if they are an hour late! After one of those bills I can tell you I would NEVER be late again!
    shareleann

Answer by shareleann at 5:49 AM on May. 21, 2011

• They are taking advantage of your kindness. You've let it happen and now they won't stop.
    Is write out a contract, stating times and fee. Even late fee.
    Good luck
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 7:21 AM on May. 21, 2011

• I'd say something.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 8:33 AM on May. 21, 2011

• You must say something!!! They are taking advantage of your kind heart. I am the same way...
    i agree with amysan and share...Set itup now...to be effect 6/1. Tell them the new rules and fees. I would tell them you need at least 24 hr notice. You have a life...just be kind but firm.
    Figure out what you want as far late fees etc...If it is less than a 24 hour notice, full day charge no matter what. I just do a flat rate of $30/day no matter what. Then charge late fees, they will stop being late.
    Good Luck!!!
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 10:25 AM on May. 21, 2011

• yes
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 3:52 PM on May. 21, 2011