Evicting MIL?

My husband allowed his mom to move back in with us (yes I know) after she moved out in an uproar about 4 months ago. She hasn't been here a month and started a arguement with him yesterday over sink strainers(?). I can't stand her (she filed false police reports on me, among other things) so I completely avoid her, but I told her she was being very childish. She told me to stay out of it and mind my own business and went in her room and started repeatedly slamming the bedroom door, just to do it. My son, whose room is next to hers had his hands over his ears and was screaming because he had been sleeping. All this happened within the first hour that she came home from work! I have had enough. My hubsand gave her an eviction notice since she's been staying here a month already, she tore it up and threw it at him. I don't want her here any longer period. I'm 8 months pregnant, and I don't need her and her foolishness stressing me all over again like 4 months ago. If she has another outburst can we have her immediately removed and banned. He also has a brother, (his mom gave a key to) and he just comes over and lives bringing his girlfriend her baby and their pitbull whenever they feel like it. Its time to take control of this house, and I want to know what LEGALLY can be done to get these people out of our home. BTW we live in georgia.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:10 AM on May. 21, 2011 in Relationships

• If there is no lease, throw her shit out of the door and call it a day. If she's receiving mail there, have the post office hold it or have it routed to a PO Box.

Receiving mail at an address CAN alter what needs to be done, but the police are not going to tell you that you have to let her live there if there isn't a lease. She'd have to take you to court and sue you in order to receive any kind of reimbursement, which if she's not paying rent that'd be a non-issue. If she is, give her a pro-rated amount of rent, whatever is left over for the month, and then kick her ass out.

Oh, and change the damn locks!
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 5:34 AM on May. 21, 2011

• I 100% agree with Razelda, if there is no lease, you can throw her stuff on the front porch (though if it rains or anything gets ruined, you will have to pay for it, so maybe gently put it on the door step lol. Here's what I would do. While you know she will be gone for a couple hours, have all the locks changed (if you have a garage door code, change that too). Then put her stuff right outside the front door with a note saying that due to her behavior, she is not welcome to live there anymore and that if she doesn't leave peacefully, the cops will be called. As far as his brother, maybe mom told them they could come over like that? Just let them know that you changed the locks, he should get the hint that he needs to ask before coming over and just mention you don't want the dog with them
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 6:48 AM on May. 21, 2011

• I didnt have a lease before and the my roommates tried to kick me out but the cops said just because I didnt have a lease didnt mean I didnt live there and I had to be served with a legal eviction notice, which it didnt come to that. As soon as you get that in the process the sooner you will be free and about the bil tell him that it is not his house and you want the key back, or just switch the locks. Good luck!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 7:04 AM on May. 21, 2011

• Pack her stuff up and put it out on the front porch. Change all the locks on the doors.

Answer by louise2 at 7:08 AM on May. 21, 2011

• Legally this is what you do: have the local sheriff's dept serve her with a 30 day eviction notice. After those 30 days if she has not moved the police can force her out. After that if she shows back up call the police and report her as tresspassing.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 7:31 AM on May. 21, 2011

• Well, the eviction process is not so long and drawn out, and I know this from past experience. A landlord can get an eviction notice served to you, you will have a week or so until the court date, and then the JUDGE decides how long the person has to move out. Usually he will award the landlord court fees and money for damages and lost rent. If she does not go to court, or put in an answer, she will be removed from the property the day after the court date or face jail time. Good luck!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 7:46 AM on May. 21, 2011

• Contact your local police department it is state by state and ask them. In some states if she has clothes there you have to give her a legal court ordered eviction notice same with the brother because he was given a key.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 7:57 AM on May. 21, 2011

• Receiving mail at an address CAN alter what needs to be done, but the police are not going to tell you that you have to let her live there if there isn't a lease. She'd have to take you to court and sue you in order to receive any kind of reimbursement, which if she's not paying rent that'd be a non-issue. If she is, give her a pro-rated amount of rent, whatever is left over for the month, and then kick her ass out.
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 11:01 AM on May. 21, 2011