Is it right to say, "I hope God/Jesus comes quickly"?

We're told that the end of days is awful.
That only Christians will be raptured up and spared.
Maybe children too, it's not really clear.
So, when Christians say that, are they really wishing unspeakable harm on their Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, Agnostic, Atheist, Buddhist, and whatever else neighbors?
Are they really saying, "Oh, you'll be sitting there next to your sleeping baby and he will suddenly disappear and you will freak out, only to find the world a terrible chaotic place filled with horror after horror because you haven't accepted Jesus as your personal lord and savior. I can't wait for that to happen!"
Not all Christians say that, but I've read it at least twice in the rapture and end of times posts, and I've only opened one or two. It seems selfish at best, horrific, cruel, and heartless at worst.
Do those people really think the rest of us are deserving of such a fate?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:49 AM on May. 21, 2011 in Religious Debate

• when they talk like that, they make their god sound more like satan.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:44 AM on May. 21, 2011

• The rapture theory is a false teaching.
    daps

Answer by daps at 6:16 AM on May. 21, 2011

• Not all Christian denominations even believe in the Rapture. It's not a universal belief in Christianity. And yes, I do find it strange when people 'can't wait' for the end of days. I always feel like they need to take a deep breath and enjoy each moment rather than wishing their lives (literally!) away.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 7:30 AM on May. 21, 2011

• I have a good friend that talks about how she can't wait for death, she is so caught up in the idea of heaven, almost odsessed. Sadly she misses out on many of the joys we can all experience everyday. She spins current event to fit the End of Days story. She laments all the things her grandchildren will miss because the Rapture will come before they have had the chance to live on Earth to an old age. IMO, a very sad way to live one's life.
    emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 8:42 AM on May. 21, 2011

• First off it's not going to happen, Second it is selfish. Third we have no idea who will be in heaven and who will not, That's why we are called to pray for all souls. God's mercy is what we hope and pray for.
    daps

Answer by daps at 5:53 AM on May. 21, 2011

• I think it is funny that some religions think a big God space ship is going to come down and pick up only them. They can go right ahead a think that. Comon sence says that is not going to happen.

Answer by louise2 at 6:24 AM on May. 21, 2011

Answer by emptynstr 4 hours
    ----------------------------------------
    Oh my---that IS sad and really pathetic. I am sorry ...but I think people who feel that way are mentally damaged, not "faithful" or loving God....just disturbed.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 1:27 PM on May. 21, 2011

• What's not going to happen? Rapture? Or just the may 21 thing? Because, some still say that about rapture, no matter when it will be. So, some people of other denominations might be chosen too? What about non-believers?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:55 AM on May. 21, 2011

• Im Christian and I have never said or thought that and i have never heard another Christian say it.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 6:00 AM on May. 21, 2011

• Princess- here's at least one, I could post more, but this is enough, you'll know of one. I've actually heard it often. Christians say they want God to come and take them home.

http://www.cafemom.com/answers/782442/Question_for_Christian_moms_about_the_rapture?cat_id=&order=&next=21

We don't know when it's going to happen, but with all the evil in the world, I say " Even so, come quickly Lord Jesus!!" I'm ready to be done with the pain, stress and frustration of this world.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 11:21 AM on May. 18, 2011
    Credits: 13772 Level 22 1 star Religion & Beliefs 101

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:03 AM on May. 21, 2011